cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show us your bikepacking rig!

There are two seasons of the year: 1) bikepacking season and 2) bikepacking planning season. A corollary being that it is always time to be thinking about your bike and the trail. So let's see your bikepacking rigs and how you have them set up! 

bikepackingrig.jpg

Pardon my rudimentary 'editing' skills on this photo (sorry @REI-CarterC!) but I'm particularly interested in how you all pack your bike for the most effective weight dispersement, balance, and maximum carrying capacity. I am dreaming of some longer rides but am struggling to know where I would put all the food needed to sustain trips longer than a few nights. I'm not opposed to also carrying a pack on my back, however, I currently have my system dialed to either not needing one or using my sweet fanny pack.

Let's see some bikes!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
22 Replies

Thanks for the inspiration, John.  I’m reading researching and talking to a couple of equally uninitiated pals.   

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Well... here's my new BP rig, sans bags. I'll post other pics when I get bags & packing sorted out. Built this Surly Long Haul Trucker from the frame up with parts I had on hand and eBay purchases. Wanted to keep it all Shimano 105 drivetrain so it took some work. But, I've got it dialed in now with a 3x10 gearing set up... I know! Right? Maybe some redundancy in the 3x10 but hey, I like options in gearing.

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

I have two rear paniers, Ibera Pak-Rats, and two front paniers, Ortlieb roll-top, that should carry everything I need. Tent and pad on top of rear rack between paniers. Front rack is salvaged and repurposed from and old Cannondale panier set (it's actually a rear rack). But, it's sturdy and useful. Likely I will use the front rack for a solar panel charging station. The Velo Orange Copenhagen dual kickstand is the cat's pajamas and should well support the fully loaded bike. More to follow...

Peace!

... Oh, and I forgot to mention a full frame bag to tote hydration, food, and readily available sundries. Bottle cages will be 86'd.

@braeis 

Sweet build! Do you have a first trip planned for it? Also, I have to ask, what kind of fat-tire bike do you have?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I don’t have a planned trip for the Surly yet. But, likely will be a copy of the trip I took on the Cannondale… as a first roll-out test trip. Then something longer. 

The fat-tire bike is a 2018 Jamis Roughneck 😁🚴🏼‍♂️

What brand is that kickstand!!!? Will it hold the bike upright fully loaded?

0 Likes

It’s a Velo Orange Copenhagen dual kickstand. I haven’t tried it yet with a full load but getting close to a fully loaded pack and it does great so far. I have no doubt it will hold everything upright. 

@joshmblott As a follow up to your question, the VO Copenhagen kickstand worked flawlessly on my 4 day 3 night fully-loaded trip (see my reply to @REI-JohnJ ). I was very surprised given the weight of my bike and the different terrains I had used the kickstand on... also that it has a "scissor-like" action that would incline one to question its stability. When I got home I checked over the kickdstand for signs of fatigue or wear and it was as good as new. So, I am very pleased with it. It's so convenient to not have to find a place to lean the bike or, in doing so, limit access to bags.

I gotta say @REI-JohnJ , that I am pretty impressed with your organizational skills, your ingenuity in the set-up and placement of your multiple packs, and not to mention your photo editing skills.

I have a Specialized hybrid bike and the only storage is an Ibera rear rack and quick-detach bag with about 20L capacity, and I usually wear an Osprey hydration pack.  Needless to say, I am not going on any lengthy bike-packing trips any time soon.  😀

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.