cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

I want to go bikepacking. Where do I start?

Hi @REI-JohnJ  and @ryanjohnson!

i hope you’re enjoying your bikes.  My handlebars were way too wide.  A stem riser, better grips, and cutting the bars down made the bike fit very comfortably.  Rode in snow /mud the other day on the wall kill valley rail trail in walkill, ny, about 22 miles—a workout!— and came home all smiles with tons of mud on me and the bike. My wife “suggested” fenders so I just received the fat tire fenders rei sells that cover tires up to 6.5” (PNW) and plan to mount ‘em and try them this weekend.  This bike makes me smile.  And little kids are always complimenting the bike or the tires and it’s a hoot.  

I’ve never camped or slept on the ground or in a tent in my life.  At 63 I’m intrigued by articles on bike packing.  I’d love to try it but I’m a little intimidated and would like to try it with at least one buddy. I also don’t know about the equipment but I can read about that and I think REI will be a great resource. Maybe the first time I do it it’ll be a relatively short ride and stay somewhere overnight near my house and ride back the next day I have a feeling I’ll love it and just gradually build up to longer trips. Have you guys done it?

Loving my orange beast.  
hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
10 Replies

Just want to comment about invasive critters -spending decades sleeping in tents and completely outside without a tent, invasive snakes, etc. are a non issue.  Proper and secure food storage is an issue.  you will see more local wildlife if you have a sloppy camp.

Tents are nice, especially in bad weather, but they are not critical in repelling invading hordes.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes