cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Favorite bikepacking/cycle touring trips

I have completed the PCH recently, and it truly was an amazing experience. I especially loved Big Sur.This got me thinking: veteran cycle tourers/bikepackers:
What are your favorite trips overall on a bike?
Which short (a few nights) ones do you like most?
Which medium (a week or two) ones do you recommend?
Which long ones are your favorites?

12 Replies

For a long trip I highly recommend the TransAm route.  My wife and I rode it west to east 3 years ago,  It was awsome.  For a week to 10 day trip I would recommend the GAP / C&O Canal, Pittsburgh to Washington DC.  We just finished that one.  It was a "Bucket List" trip.  We will be doing the west coast of the US in September.  Looking forward to it.  We have done San Francisco back to Orange County but not the entire coast from Canada to Mexico

For those of you that did the GAP/C&O ride (Pitt 2 DC) tell me more.  Like planning, length, mileage per day, etc.  Did you do it on your own or with a touring group?

0 Likes

GAP/C&O ride - I have done with two friends. We completed the C & O in 4 days in 2021. Started in Cumberland, around noon. Ride about 40 miles and camp at 15 Mile Creek Campground. Day 2 ride about 70 miles and camp at Antietam Creek Campsite. Reason these two camp sites take reservations. The 70 miles was too much in one day, not recommended.

Day 3 about 40 miles camp at free site Horsepen Branch Hiker  Biker Campsite. Day 4 about 20 miles to DC and extra miles to the National Harbor in MD for pick-up.

We buy food along the way. Usually two meals at a time eat one and take one for dinner. We did not cook.

0 Likes

C&O - Food stops Along the Towpath.jpgc&o_map 2.jpgc&o_map_ 1`.jpgC&O - Food stops Along the Towpath 2.jpg

0 Likes

If you're looking at Alaska I highly recommed Resurrection Pass on the Kenai Pennisula. It's 40 miles total (20 miles up and then 20 miles down, basically). There are cabins for rent or ample tent camping spots along the whole route. I did it as a two day trip and again as a three day trip and I definitely recommend taking your time. There is simply too much granduer to take in! IMG_0476.JPG

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Bikepacking is one of my new favorite outdoor activities! Last summer I rode the C&O and GAP trail from DC to Pittsburgh and it was an amazing 330 miles. You can easily split it into 2 shorter trips and just complete either the C&O(Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Trail) or GAP (Great Allegheny Passage). There are some awesome camping spots and water on the entire trail. Pair that with great sightseeing and many historical landmarks and you've got a bike adventure not to be forgotten.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Can you tell me more about your trip along the C&O/GAP trail?  We are thinking about doing the reverse-Pitt 2 DC.  How long did it take you? How many miles did you travel per day?  Did you go as part of a touring group or planned by yourself?

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes

I too have ridden the C&O Towpath from DC to Antietam. The history along the route is fantastic. Other rides of short duration are the KATY trail across Missouri and Ft Lauderdale to Key West in winter is very nice. I completed the Southern Tier a few years ago mostly solo and self supported. It was a great adventure with so many cultures to experience. So many great ride out there to enjoy.

0 Likes