cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Bike packing with a dropper post

I'm looking to get into bikepacking with my mountain bike but I'm worried about damaging my dropper post?

What are the best options out there for packing on my bike?

Are there any accessories available to prevent damage to my seatpost?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

https://bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-with-a-dropper-post/

Here is a good read on compatible seat posts for bike packing. It will give you specs and prices.

there is a bunch of different brackets out there that will depend on the seat post and pack you choose.

i always thought rule of thumb for dropper posts is, the higher you go the easier they’re to bend. I was told 145-150mm is when they start to loose integrity.

6 Replies

https://bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-with-a-dropper-post/

Here is a good read on compatible seat posts for bike packing. It will give you specs and prices.

there is a bunch of different brackets out there that will depend on the seat post and pack you choose.

i always thought rule of thumb for dropper posts is, the higher you go the easier they’re to bend. I was told 145-150mm is when they start to loose integrity.

Thanks! That's a great article!

I think this is a fad.  I don't know how one can enjoy "bike packing" on a mountain bike.  All that weight is going to throw you off.   Light weight gear cost a lot of money.    Our group just camps at a site, then take our bikes to the trail heads.

It sounds really cool, but don't see how it can be practical.

0 Likes

@drew2fast 

As someone who came to bikepacking after mountain biking for many years I can say that I shared your skepticism at first. However, after getting several bikepacking trips under my belt now I can say that I've converted to a full-blown bikepacking advocate!

I will say, though, that it definitely requires a different mindset than mountain biking. If you're solely looking for the mountain bike 'flow' you are correct that you will not enjoy all the additional weight. However, with the right gear (again you are correct that it can be expensive), you can get most of that weight centered on your bike and have a surprisingly low impact on your riding.

I'm including some photos of a single overnight bikepacking trip that I did over Resurrection Pass on the Kenai Pennisula last year. We managed to cover 40 miles in two days, which was only possible because we were on bikes. One of the biggest appeals of bikepacking is being able to move relatively quickly through the landscape while still very much feeling like you're a part of it.

At the top of the pass...we were also laying down after all that uphill!At the top of the pass...we were also laying down after all that uphill!The steed.The steed.Pano from the top of the pass.Pano from the top of the pass.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

The point is to travel by bike with camping gear. It's not about shredding black diamond downhill or whatever the trendy mountain bike thing this week is. Bike touring — bikepacking is really bike touring — is much older than recreational mountain biking and both are equally practical and impractical.

For example, this past summer I rode a 1,200-mile section of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Whitefish, MT to Steamboat Springs, CO (single speed, naturally). It would be impossible to drive to every campsite, even if I had a car. For me it was visiting places, talking to people, stopping for pictures (I carried a Leica M4 film camera) amid a constant feeling of being in the moment. It was glorious. 

0 Likes

Revelate Designs (available at REI!) and I believe Porcelain Rocket have dropper post-compatible seat bags. The bags tend to be smaller than non-dropper bags, but should allow the post to do its thing while preventing, or limiting, damage to the post. 

0 Likes