cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

REI Emergency Preparedness Essentials II: Gearing Up

Hi Bay Area! Thanks for joining us for REI's Emergency Preparedness Essentials Session II: Gearing Up.

There are always lots of questions during our events, so if your question wasn't answered during Session II, please feel free to share it here. And we'll work on getting you some answers! 

You can also check out our Emergency Preparedness Resource Hub here, where your question (and maybe even some questions you didn't know you had!) may already be answered. 

We hope to see you at Session III: Hunkering Down on September 25th. If you missed Session I or Session II, we are offering all three sessions again in October. 
You can sign up and see all future dates at the Resource Hub link above!

Have a great weekend!
At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
11 Replies

@REI-MichelleP What was the device for two phones to be able to use them when network is down?

0 Likes

Hey @makermike!

That was the goTenna Mesh Text and Location Communicator Pair:

https://www.rei.com/product/129626/gotenna-mesh-text-and-location-communicator-pair

Thanks for joining us -- Hope to see you at Session III!

0 Likes

What are some recommended items for navigation other than maps in ziploc bags?

0 Likes

Hi! Thanks for joining us this week!

Maps in plastic bags are the best, since the plastic bags will protect the maps from abrasion as well as moisture. David also likes to caryr the Suunto M-3 D Leader Compass.

If you're looking for something beyond a traditional map & compass, an electronic source is okay. There are many great GPS and navigation apps available. But just keep in mind that these are subject to power needs, and sometimes to satellite signal, so they just aren’t as reliable.

If you're interested in brushing up on your navigation skills (depending on where you are located) we offer Navigation Classes & Events. And if there aren't any classes available near you right now, we have several great REI Expert Advice articles on navigation-related subjects and gear. 

Hope that helps! Have a great rest of your day! 

0 Likes

Thanks the info, Michelle!

Iodine tablets are so easy - is there a reason beyond taste not to depend on these for water purification?  Any suggestions to improve my fire building skills?? Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi @DSM! Thanks for joining us on Monday! 

One reason you'll want to have some bottled or stored water is that if you solely rely on water purification methods for potable water, you are assuming that you will definitely have access to a water source to purify. And that may not always be the case! So stored water is important. 

But having tablets on hand is also smart! For tablets, David prefers these Katadyn Micropur tablets. From David: "Some iodine tablets come in glass vials, which means they're breakable. And once you open those vial, you’ve allowed moisture in the air into the container, and the iodine tablets will expire faster. The Micropur ones work the same way, with a different chemical, and come in individual blister packs, so you only open the ones you need."

Regarding fire building skills: "The best way to get better is to take a class/learn more ways of doing it. Beyond this, the number one thing I’ve found for firebuilding is that those skills require practice. If you have a fireplace, or access to a firepit or other safe and secure place to build a tiny fire, practice!"

And check out these resources as well:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/campfire-basics.html
https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/inforgraphic-how-to-make-a-great-campfire

Thanks again for joining us, hope to see you next Monday!

0 Likes

Hi, what fiber can I use if I'm allergic to wool. I have really sensitive skin. Thank you !

0 Likes

@Artsychica for folks who cannot wear wool, we typically we recommend either silk or a synthetic  material like nylon or polyester. These fibers still do a great job wicking and drying quickly!

0 Likes