cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

You think THAT’S bad, mine was worse!

Okay, we’ve all seen the posts where we share our favorite meals at the campsite or on trail. 

Let’s have a laugh and explore the other end…

What’s the worst thing you’ve eaten and wouldn’t wish on anyone?

I’ll start - a few years ago: it was my first time with a new stove and wanted to take it for a test drive. I finished a tiring 11 mile hike, sat at the picnic table, boiled water and tried to reconstitute some dried fish. It turned mushy and was more like a slimy soup than anything resembling fish. Lol

i gag just thinking about it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
21 Replies

@TheTiredDVM oh wow... that's just... just...  wow   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Many years ago my brother and I were setting off on our first extended backpacking trip.  We were poor students--our tent was a canvas  Cub Scout model that our mother lengthened on her sewing machine wit some canvas from the surplus store.  Economy extended to the food--dried bulk items from the grocery store mostly, and a few freeze-dried items.  My brother thought it appropriate to splurge on some bacon bars--compressed bacon bits and fat to bind them.  After long days of burning many calories, dinner was a delight no matter what, but on the alternate nights when we could use the bacon bars, it was a genuine feast.  A gourmet meal....  A few years later, remembering what a triumphant treat those rice-and-bacon meals had been, I bought a bacon bar and made dinner of it.  But without the big calorie deficit, the bacon bar was kind of like ordering the wrong item on the McDonald's menu.  Not a moment filled with delight, shall we say.

Chris Campbell