cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

You think THAT’S bad, mine was worse!

Okay, we’ve all seen the posts where we share our favorite meals at the campsite or on trail. 

Let’s have a laugh and explore the other end…

What’s the worst thing you’ve eaten and wouldn’t wish on anyone?

I’ll start - a few years ago: it was my first time with a new stove and wanted to take it for a test drive. I finished a tiring 11 mile hike, sat at the picnic table, boiled water and tried to reconstitute some dried fish. It turned mushy and was more like a slimy soup than anything resembling fish. Lol

i gag just thinking about it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
21 Replies

One more oatmeal dish.  I understand that my Scottish ancestors (and yours, probably as well) when on their way to battle would have a "breakfast" consisting of a handful of oatmeal dipped in a stream as they forged across,  That would certainly put them in a fighting mood!

How did we survive before the microwave??

No cinnamon and sugar???

During survival training, it was eating grub worms.  You can survive off it but you ain't gonna like it...

Perhaps sauteed with some wild mushrooms?

my worst meals are more equipment related, one time guy I was hiking with offered the use of his fuel canister, if I would let him use my stove (he forgot his), so when my fuel ran low and I went to use his...his canister nozzle was completely rusted over, and then we were both...."out of luck"

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip @Philreedshikes @TomIrvine @Gary2 @Bertram @hikermor 

Okay, so I wanted to hold on this response until I could verify which book I read with this story in it, however, I have yet to unpack them all so it may be a while. Anyway, this is not my story, but it is the worst example I have ever come across of making a gross error when preparing a meal. Essentially, a member of a climbing party mistook their pee bottle for their water bottle and woke everyone in the tent up to the smell of hot urine instead of coffee and oatmeal in the morning. While it was not consumed, it was a very unpleasant experience for all involved and the pot was regarded with the utmost dubiousness for the remainder of the trip...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

oh that IS so messed up.  Under normal conditions, that pot would have been out of service pending a hazmat cleanup.

Which reminds me,

Some trips like Whitney and Utah canyons required a wag bag, is it just me, or is it just about impossible to seal in the...."aroma" of the contents therein?

ps extremely hard to type with my little pinky still bandaged from surgery.  so dedicated

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Lololololol

I mean, I’ve had some bad coffee that I’ve said tastes like **** but I was being hyperbolic. 

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

I was backpacking the grand canyon last year with a group of about 10 people. The group leader brought a selection of freeze dried Mountain House meals for one of the dinners. He set them all out and we drew from a pack of cards to see who got to choose first. I won! Looking over the wide selection of freeze dried meals, I heard a vague voice in the back of my mind from a youtuber who once mentioned that the beef stew is the best. Trusting this random youtuber, I quickly grabbed the beef stew, reaching over the beef stroganoff. However, my bag was 2 years expired and no matter how long I let it steep, the contents remained solid and hard. So there I was, head hanging low, as I crunched on my expired beef while everyone enjoyed their fully cooked, non-expired, meals; laughing that I picked the worst bag despite getting to go first. It was so stale and vile, that it caused a stomach ache so severe that I later vomited on the trail about 24 hours later. And yes, the stew was present in my vomitus even after 24hrs.

Never eating Mountain House again. 

"I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired"

@TheTiredDVM this is just unfair, and terrible, and more unfair...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.