cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: You think THAT’S bad, mine was worse!

Okay, we’ve all seen the posts where we share our favorite meals at the campsite or on trail. 

Let’s have a laugh and explore the other end…

What’s the worst thing you’ve eaten and wouldn’t wish on anyone?

I’ll start - a few years ago: it was my first time with a new stove and wanted to take it for a test drive. I finished a tiring 11 mile hike, sat at the picnic table, boiled water and tried to reconstitute some dried fish. It turned mushy and was more like a slimy soup than anything resembling fish. Lol

i gag just thinking about it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
21 Replies

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

I have a feeling this thread is going to be great!

I once accidentally doubled the water in a freeze dried lasagna meal. It would be generous to say it was 'soup'. It was more like warm salt water that a tomato sneezed in. Did I eat it? Nope. Did I drink it? Heck yes. The threshold of what my palate will tolerate when I'm cold and hungry on the trail is quite 'flexible' to say the least!

I can't wait to hear other on trail/campsite culinary disasters!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Too funny

0 Likes

I like soup. I like lasagne. Don’t think I’d like lasagne soup. LOLOL

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Apologies to vegans, but when we were about thirteen years old, my cousin and I killed a raccoon while practicing to become full-time mountain men. Not wanting to waste a life, we were honor bound to eat the thing, so we attempted to... uh... prepare it over a piney campfire and consume it when we deemed it "done." (It was a little reminiscent of Lord of the Flies - without the chanting.) Perhaps a more skilled cook could have produced an edible meal out of the poor critter, but we could bear no more than a few forced bites.

We also failed in our attempt to save the pelt.

Once on a search nd rescue mission a long time ago, my partner and I were tasked with an assignment that involved a cold overnight bivouac.  t We had a relatively normal evening meal, but I a brilliant (I thought) brainstorm and had prepared a concoction of oatmeal flavored with powdered Gatorade.  Just add water and enjoy.  I heated the water and prepped my breakfast before the unbelieving eyes of my companion.  "You are actually going to eat that?" he inquired unbelievingly.  I  was and I did, and the concoction stayed down and I suffered no lasting ill effects.  At least it was hot and we went on to achieve the rescue.

Funny thing, I don't recall him ever teaming with me of any operations after that....

Gatoroatmealade never became a commercial product for some odd reason....

@hikermor 

Well if it didn't catch on it wasn't for lack of an amazing name!

@hikermor I was hesitant to share my "worst meal", because in comparison (and with the passage of time) it really wasn't that bad, but since you mentioned oatmeal...lots of years ago, on Shasta, I was the last one to wake up for our summit attempt and therefore got stuck with the packets of plain instant oatmeal - not a thing to add to it as apparently no one had heard of your amazing concoction, which might have made my breakfast more palatable. Needless to say, I did not make the summit on my empty stomach....and also recognize (now) that plain oatmeal isn't really all that bad.

0 Likes

Oatmeal is extremely healthy and really isn't that bad.  Today my breakfast was oatmeal with mild, raisins, walnuts, applesauce, blueberries, and peach yogurt (lowfat, of course).....

@hikermor  I just think "Gatoroatmealade" hasn't had the benefit of a full marketing campaign.