cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Winter Overboots

Hi folks,

Looking for options or recommendations to purchase winter over-boots.  Just spent the winter in Norway and they all carried Mittet Winter over-boots in the back country.  After looking through the REI inventory, I didn't see much outside of cross country skiing equipment for over boot protection.  Bottom line, planning a Arctic trek and trying to reduce the weight of my pack where possible.  Overboots seems like a better solution then a second set of CW boots.

Cheers,

Ben

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @Rocket_Napoli - Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, we used to carry a few options for overboots but no longer do.

While you will have to purchase those outside of REI, we are hoping community members will have some recommendations for you on which options are best for your Arctic plan. @hikermor@RobertH@Andrew-Lock , @TM - have you all used overboots in the past to save weight on expeditions? Do you have any feedback to offer Ben? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

My one arctic experience was on Denali more than thirty years ago.  Climbing the Muldrow glacier, I was good in plastic double boots (an REI purchase).but once we got to Advanced Base Camp at 14,000+ feet, we switched to military surplus mukluks which were nice and toasty in that relatively sedentary situation.  I was a volunteer for Denali NP, on the June patrol.  We were cleared for a summit attempt if the opportunity arose, but our primary mission was to support the climbing effort and deal with emergencies, which were numerous.  Our summit attempt was thwarted because we were dealing with a pulmonary edema case. 

This, being June, was the "summer" attempt.  Temps were routinely -20F and we experienced one storm which treated us to a wind chilled -80F.  My mukluks handled it all in superb style and I would recommend something along those lines if you are going to deal with sub zero temps.  If you are active and it is a it warmer, a good double boot should be fine.  Those mukluks were not crampon compatible.  Our summit attempt would have seen us in our plastic slippers...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes