cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Where do you put your boots at night?

Since I've been backpacking in the forests of southern Ohio, I've been waking up to some tiny beast trying to live in my boots. I don't mind giving them a shake in the morning but then I worry if I did a good enough job as I'm continuing my hike the next day. 

I was told to leave my boots outside of the tent at night so I'm not bringing anything in that may want to eat me, so I treated them with Sawyer repellent and now I park them in the vestibule but that only does so much to keep spiders out. 

Anyone have any tips on what to do with your boots while you get some sleep in your tent at night?

Thanks

Labels (2)
53 Replies

I put mine in the vestibule to prevent rocks and mud from inside tent tent

0 Likes

My boots go anywhere but back on my feet....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I spent a few months sleeping in my hammock in the Hawaiian jungle, a wet and hot climate abound with creepy crawlies. I found tying the laces together and hanging them over the strap of my hammock beneath my tarp let them air out better than anywhere else I could put them and kept bugs like centipedes and fire ants out of them. That being said I was still soaking my socks in vinegar and covering my feet and boots with baby powder.

0 Likes

Boots in or out?  Dropped into old flannel pillowcase will let your boots breath and keep everything out. Just keep tied till morning.

0 Likes