cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What size dry bags do you recommend for backpacking?

I’m relatively new to backpacking and bought an Osprey Atmos 65 pack. I was wondering what liter dry sacks everyone typically used? I’m going to be on trail probably no more than 3 days at a time. 

clothes

food 

essentials 

5 Replies

Use a compactor bag as a pack liner and some Freezer Ziplocks for small stuff.  If you keep you sleeping bag in the lower compartment you can keep it in its own compactor bag. You just twist the top closed and tuck it in. 

You do probably want a dry bag for food especially if you need to hang it against bears and general crtterage.  5L is probably a minimum size for that. A BV450 bear can is about 7L and suggests it is large enough for 4 days. 

You may want something a bit better than a diposable Ziplock if you carry expensive electronics.

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Greatly appreciated! 

0 Likes

I would recommend you use simple groceries bags for the first hike or two and get a feel for the amount of items you like to take.  Each person is a bit different.  Once you figure out exactly what you want with you, that will inform you of the sack sizes.  No need to buy one size today and learn you should have gotten a different size.  Also, hikers tend to start heavy and move lighter and some event get to the point of a compactor back inside to provide waterproofing and  a food sack for hanging so you might be buying something you don't use for long.  More reason to test it out first 🙂  Good luck....hike your own hike

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I beelieeve your pack domes with a rain cover.  That should e sufficient. It is often a good idea to carry a trash compactor bag in your gear - a wonderfully versatile item.

For your initial trips, check the forecast and try for good weather.  Hiking in thee rain has its pleasures, but they can wait.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for your help!