cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What's Your Backpacking App?

I like using AllTrails for navigation (w/ topo and compass as backup), and mostly for review, but most of the people using that app are hikers, not backpackers.  It's difficult to find feedback on AllTrails that helps with picking a good trail while getting reviews about incorrect signage, good/bad camping spots, water sources, etc. Is there a better app to use for backpackers?

0 Likes
16 Replies

I agree with the analog folks, maps and compass.  When I get to go, I'm generally out for relatively long periods of time, and need to ration phone battery energy for essentials like contacting my wife before she alerts the rangers!  I am taking notes here for good apps to peruse trails prior to hiking, though.  A good topic, thanks!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Gaia premium. I like being it because I can map out routes and waypoints on my laptop, print out a copy, and it matches exactly what's on my phone. 

I like that. I'll look into Gaia premium. Thanks.

0 Likes

My boyfriend used to use Gaia and I, a topo and compass.  Then he got a new phone.  Gaia and his phone don't get along.  Its apparently a known problem.  On his phone, Gaia throws stray points way off the trail so it looks like you've hike 2-3 times as far as you actually have and on trail that doesn't exist.  I believe there is a list of incompatible phones on the Gaia website.  He used Green Tracks now I believe.

But something good you can do with Gaia, and maybe the others, is that once you have everything loaded and ready to go, you don't need an internet connection or high accuracy GPS connection.  So you can put everything into battery saving mode, turn off all the transmitters except the lowest level of location/GPS service to really extend your battery life.

I've never had any issues with it. I can put my phone in airplane mode and just use Gaia, then turn airplane mode off and send a few texts each night, take a dozen or so pictures a day, and the battery will last 6-7 days. I'm happy with it.

Good suggestion on saving the battery. Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks for raising this topic. It was a question I was going to ask.

------------------------------------
Go outside and play, kids!
0 Likes