cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What's the best way to laminate a map and still be able to fold it?

• I’m wanting to laminate and still be able to fold a park map so it can fit in my pocket.  I can laminate it at a shop, but I’m afraid that I won’t be able to fold it if I do that.  Any ideas/suggestions/ help is appreciated. Thank you!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies

I have laminated maps and been able to fold them.  Even better isto cut the map into the size youprefer, bind them with adhesive cloth (Chartex) and then laminate.  Thereare also fluidswhich will waterproof maps.

I have used maps for years, treated in this manner.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

good question. 

I go to a variety store (walmart, target, etc)  and buy a roll of clear adhesive shelf paper and apply to my map at home.

I found I need to do both sides to keep it dry.

as @hikermor  said, the larger you try to do, the bulkier it will be.  You can cut it into sections you'll actually be using, just use/carry one at a time.  Store the other sections, and the rest of map, in a zip lock in your pack.

this works for me.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

If your intent is to keep it dry, you may want to consider printing your map on waterproof paper (it only works with laser printers) which you can find online. If your intent is to keep the map from becoming unreadable at the creases, I would suggest cutting the map where you intend to fold the finished product, then either keep the finished pieces together OR laminate as one piece but allow a slight space between the pieces to allow for a fold in the lamination.

@FarmersFight22  you wouldn't happen to be from Texas would you?

No, why do you ask?

0 Likes

Was asking @FarmersFight22  , but that’s ok 

😉 if you’re not

0 Likes

@Philreedshikes  I sure am!  Could you tell I’m an Aggie?😂

0 Likes

@FarmersFight22 Farmers fight, farmers fight, fight, fight, farmers farmers fight....

’78