cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is your favorite piece of backpacking gear (in any category) that you don't leave home without?

I don't leave home without one of my Xped sleeping pads (summer or winter version) b/c it is the most comfortable I have personally found. It allows a good night rest for those 20+ mile days.

14 Replies

It would be a toss-up between my Big Agnes air core pad, the MSR pocket rocket 2, and my TOAKS 650 ml pot.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

The one thing that I never leave behind is a knife. At the very least, a sturdy EDC pocket knife; or a small fixed-blade bushcrafter knife.  To paraphrase @Tetons2 , it is just so versatile!  I've used mine for everything from splitting campfire wood to carving up a freshly picked paw-paw for an on-trail snack!

0 Likes

(can you have many items as favorite?)  Anyway...if my air mattress blows, trip is over for me!  I need to stay warm and dry...and recommend not leaving the trailhead without the "ten essentials"!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Besides the essentials and my trusty trekking poles, three pieces of gear I've used the past couple of years that I'll NEVER backpack without are (two are girl-specific, so sorry guys):

• My pStyle FUD (female urinary device) - it allows me to pee standing up and I don't have to drop my drawers every time I have to take a leak. I LOVE IT!
  • My Brondell GoSpa Travel Bidet - I don't use toilet paper on the trail anymore (I carry some as a backup in case I'm camping somewhere there's no water, and I pack out the used stuff if I must use it) and it gets me fresh and clean! It is incredibly useful during that time of the month too. 
  • My Diva Cup - I don't have to carry tampons and pack out used ones, and I can go 12 hours without having to deal with my period at all. The above-mentioned item comes in handy to deal with cleaning up. 

LNT baby! 

0 Likes

Whether it be an ultralight foam pad, or my REI Flexlite chair I never leave home without something to sit on!

"From the highest king, to the lowest peasant...everyone enjoys a good sit."

0 Likes