cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is your backpacking cook setup and what do you "cook" with it apart from Mountain House etc.?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
17 Replies

Yeah, but bacon should come with a warning for campers. The only close bear encounter I've ever had involves a plate of bacon grease I was saving to fry hash brown potatoes the next morning... but I'm sure you'll be fine... more or less....

0 Likes

Those small pasta packets sold my Knorr or Lipton. They're around $1 on sale and make for a decent meal. I like the cheddar broccoli. Just boil water and add a bit of powered milk and it's a 10 minute meal.

(JOKE)

You know you are a prepper if you buy your dog emergency rations. You know you are a survivalist if you consider your DOG emergency rations.

MSR whisperlite. Indestructible, field serviceable, and works at any temperature. I have a copy of the NOLS cookery which has some fantastic recipes.  My favorite being gato-gato.  Great topping of pasta, vegetables, or just by itself

NOLS cookery - a classic!
aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I just started using the Sea to Summit X-Kettle with two X-mugs. Its light and very compact. I also us Peak Refuel meals. They are great. There is also Backpackers Pantry. I like them both, Peak has more protein for less water. 

0 Likes

Just a step beyond boiling water .  I 'Cook"  mac and cheese with jerky, either turkeyy or beef. Simple, nutritious, and fairly light weight.  For breakfast, usually oatmeal, raisins, nuts and whatever, and hit the trail - don't forget that all important cup of coffee!

0 Likes

I've got my handy dandy BRS 3000 with a canister. My pot is the GSI Halulite 1.1 aluminum pot.

My favorite piece, though, is homemade. My wife and I ordered some fresh groceries and the meat came in a large insulated bubble wrap-type bag with a reflective coating on the outside. So I cut that into a smaller size pouch, reversed it so that the reflective material is now on the inside, and I use it to let my food sit for a few minutes after I add the boiling water. It retains heat beautifully and weighs under 1 oz.

What do I cook? Besides coffee, obviously LOL. I love Ramen but the sodium levels in the packaged stuff is just too high for me so I made my own instant broth and I dehydrate veggies. I do use the instant noodles, though. Still trying to work out how to best dehydrate fresh cooked ramen noodles.

Quinoa (instant) with packaged salmon is a favorite. I have a potlatch seasoning blend that's amazing.

One of the health issues I've overcome but still need to ay attention to is high blood pressure, so in addition to watching calories, I have to pay really close attention to sodium levels. That means I stay away from Mountain House and most of those pre-made backpacker meals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)