Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What do you call "pot holders"??

I'm an Aussie and we call the metal grippers you take a pot/billy off heat with "Paddy's Fingers."
I had always thought this was a tongue-in-cheek dig at the Irish as only an Irishman/woman would be silly enough to pick the pot straight up off the fire (apologies to my Irish friends!), but my mother recently told me it was in reference to a local gear maker Paddy Pallin. Are they called this outside SE Australia?
What do YOU call them and where did you learn it?!?

4 Replies

... Ummm... People who don't inhale?

"the little thingee to get the pot off the stove?"

You're dangerous.
I was under the impression that the "tripping" we are talking about around here involves physical activity...? 😉


It is semantics, but not pot "holders," pot "grippers."

aka "Boonerelli"