cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are your favorite knots?

I would like to ask what are your favorite knots to use out in the wild? I have 3 that are my all around go to knots and they are

1) Bowline Knot - they are on the end of each and every length of cordage I carry.

2) Truckers Knot - Great to tighten those ridge lines or even your tent pole Guy lines.

3) Clove Hitch - it's fast, easy to tie and holds excellent! And not just for boaters either!

37 Replies

That's pretty sweet but will it handle paracord or rope's?

0 Likes

If you can fit both lines and the the tail in the channel, you are good to go with a larger diameter lines.

However, it is too compact for the lines you mentioned. 

I found this fishing accessory tool extremely useful working with very thin and delicate fishing line (Example 2 lb. Test Tipit) and found it so efficient, the tool hangs from its lanyard around my neck, on all of my fly fishing adventures. 

0 Likes

Figure of eight for the win (sometimes a double)!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

One of my favorite knots! Though until today I never knew what it was called!

I like most of the knots that have been posted, learned about the 3D Knots app and about a new knot (the Munter hitch) from the picture of the 3D knots app.

I carry a 4 foot piece of paracord with sharpie marks every foot in my pocket every day. It's used as a measuring tape, as well as to keep my hands busy on long conference calls.

One knot I have not seen mentioned yet is the constrictor knot, a variation of the clove hitch. It's a great knot to tie around a bundle of things that needs to be cinched up tight - but very difficult to untie. It also works well to put a lanyard on things that the rope might otherwise come off of. I used some 3mm utility cord to put a lanyard on a piezo sparker for my pocket rocket stove last night.

I never used the Constrictor but after reading your response I looked it up on my 3D Knots app and practiced it a number of times. It really does look like it's going to hold very well. Thank you!

As for your 4 foot piece of P-cord. Well you sound just like me HA. I carry one around with me most times just to practice different knots. The neighbors think I'm nutz but hey, at least I'm not alone in that aspect. I also like that you have 1 foot marks on it. That truly does make a down and dirty tape measuring device. Again  thank you!

My favorite is the Sheepshank.  It's used to shorten a line without cutting it.  Truth be told, I almost never use it;  it seems to be much ado about nothing, and barely serves a purpose.  I like stuff like that.  😁

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Bowline

Canadian cinch knot. Used to bind gear

half hitch's.  2 half hitches and a square knot and you can pull the world.

square knot

prussik

Garlic Knots are my absolute favorite!

“Knot” knowing what a Garlic Knot was, I had to look it up. 

Your post is of a brilliant mind at work. 👍

9C6E1A7C-A673-4908-910D-726B3DA7702D.jpeg