cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are your favorite knots?

I would like to ask what are your favorite knots to use out in the wild? I have 3 that are my all around go to knots and they are

1) Bowline Knot - they are on the end of each and every length of cordage I carry.

2) Truckers Knot - Great to tighten those ridge lines or even your tent pole Guy lines.

3) Clove Hitch - it's fast, easy to tie and holds excellent! And not just for boaters either!

37 Replies

By zipper loop I just meant the loop that is attached to the zipper in that picture.  It is attached to the zipper with a larkshead...probably the most obvious way to do it.

The Ashley stopper makes a nice fairly even "ball" on a small cordage without being too complex. It can be pried apart fairly easily but does shake out like figure 8s can.

https://www.animatedknots.com/ashley-stopper-knot

nice web site!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

btw I meant an Ashley stopper does not shake out like figure 8s can

0 Likes

Incidentally, a smartphone app like Knots 3D - Learn how to tie over 150 useful knots! is indispensable.  

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I've  got it and love it.  Been using that app for  at least 10 years now

0 Likes

I will frequently set up a tarp when my wife and I are on a long day hike.  It’s nice to kick back under the tarp and have lunch. 

For most applications I have found the only two knots I need are the:

1.) Evenk hitch  2.) Trucker’s hitch

Great topic. I learned a couple. Thanks. 
Only others I use not mentioned are:

tautline hitch for guy lines

sheet bend for ropes of unequal size

C4F0BD10-5FF4-42B9-878A-13FD46BF94AA.jpeg

5B52614D-5958-4E97-AF98-E0419A7149D8.jpeg

Speaking of ropes or lines of different sizes…

This tool I purchased from Creek Company is priceless, to tie dissimilar diameters of fishing line, utilizing a double or triple fisherman’s bend, and to trim off the tails  

Fly Fishing Example:

Dacron Backing, to Weighted or Floating Line, to Monofilament Tapered Leader, to Tipit, to a Wet or Dry Fly. 

https://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16163

I've never heard of such a beast. How does it work Marc_OV_AZ

0 Likes

This tool is very compact, hence the use of a neck lanyard is highly recommended. 

1. Lay the 2 dissimilar lines in opposite directions within the channel, with tails of both lines extending about 6” from each end. 

2. Take the tail of the line extending from the tapered side of the channel and wrap 2 or 3 tight loops around the channel left toward the lanyard ringlet. 

3. With your index finger and thumb, hold the wrapped line tight against the channel, to prevent the wrapped line from unfurling  

4. Insert the tail of the wrapped line into the center of the channeled loops, extending to the right, exiting through the tapered end of the channel. 

5. Tighten the 2 opposing lines.

(Your almost halfway there!)

6. Reverse the 2 lines in the channel, with the remaining line extending out of the tapered end of the channel about 6”.

7. Repeat Steps 2 through 5.

8 Trim the tails with the clippers of the tool. 

The notches in the handle are for the fishing hook to be anchored, while you tie the tipit or leader to the eyelet of the hook, using the same method as above.  

With practice, tying lines together, tying flys or lures to the line and trimming tails will become fast operations, so you will spend more time with your fishing line in the water catching fish.🐟🎣.