cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are your 2021 backpacking plans?

So far:  1. April, Adventure Hiking Trail, southern Indiana  2. July, Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore.  3. ?  - I'm sure we'll do a few local overnight/week end trips.  Would love to go to Black Hills. 2021?  Maybe.

My wife & I age is upper 60's, looking forward to '21 adventures!  What about you?

21 Replies

That sounds awesome! So far what I've got planned is:

1 . April- Ridge Trail, Cumberland Gap Nat'l Historical Park KY

2. May- Smoky Mountain National Park, TN (with my wife and little girl, her first trip!)

3. June- LASH the upper 141 miles of the Sheltowee, KY

4. July- Paintbrush Divide trip, WY (With my wife)

5 .October- North/South Trail Land Between the Lakes KY

6. December- Zion National Park, UT (with my wife and little girl)

I live very close to Mammoth Cave National Park as well and I usually do a couple weekend trips per month in the backcountry to test out new gear and train. Going this weekend as a matter of fact! So exciting to hear about other people's trips they have planned! I hope you and your wife have a great time!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees."- Thoreau

@madefromstraw hope we'll get to see some pictures from all of those amazing adventures!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

For sure!

0 Likes

That's quite a full schedule! I admire you for dedicating time each month. What's your secret for blocking your calendar (ie, no social events on the 3rd weekend of every month)?

I am a teacher so I have set time off every year (which makes backpacking more easy) and I have church the 1st and 3rd weekend each month. Everything is just worked around that and my wife's schedule. If I can plan far enough in advance, it makes it easier to still have a life other than backpacking

0 Likes

This time of year in Seattle we get periodic "false springs" - lots of sunny weather that gets me thinking about hiking that quickly turns back to gray! Unfortunately, it's also already 6 months out from August/September, so a bunch of the prime camp sites and permits have been snatched. When will I learn to plan earlier?!

That said, I do have one big trip on the books! After scouring the REI Adventures, some friends and I decided to steal an itinerary and plan a trip in our own backyard. This August, we'll spend 4 days backpacking the High Divide/ Seven Lakes Basin in the Olympic National Forest. We had to get a little creative with the permits, so we'll tack on a few extra miles and have one long (10-mile) day in the middle. We also booked a room at the Sol Duc Hot Springs to soak our feet and rest up before driving home.

Nothing else officially on the books, but lots of ideas. Chinook to White Pass, Ozette Triangle, Baker Lake overnight... I'd love to hear other Washington recommendations, too!

And, big thanks to REI for the itinerary! Don't worry, I'm spending more than the cost of the trip just updating my gear this year. 

@ChelsE 

I hope you're enjoying the 'false spring' today! It is gorgeous out!

Your Olympic trip sounds amazing, be sure to come back here to the community to tell us about it! If you've ever thought about doing the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainier, the permit lottery just opened yesterday. You can check out the information here

I would also recommend also taking a look at the Kendall Katwalk, the Mt. Adams Wilderness area, or, while not very challenging, backpacking at Rialto Beach through Hole-in-the-wall is pretty amazing. 

Enjoy your trips this summer and the rest of our 'false spring' today!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

My plan is to do some Ozark backpacking this year. I live in Kansas City so it's not too far, but just far enough that it feels like a trip. I'd also like to get to Boulder later in the year if possible. I'm starting out backpacking this year so I'm going to start small and work my way up to Rocky Mountain backpacking.

Other that local trails around Williamsburg, VA; section hiking on the AT.  Dates are mostly in the air. Shakedown run out of Rockfish Gap into SNP and back to Humpback Rocks. A trip to VA Triple Crown (Dragon Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs). The biggie is in September, part of AT into Tenn then back north to Mt. Rogers and pick up the VA Creeper Trail while in in Damascus, VA. 

@Russ1663 How ‘bout that, I’m in Hampton 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes