cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: 2021 backpacking plans:

So far:  1. April, Adventure Hiking Trail, southern Indiana  2. July, Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore.  3. ?  - I'm sure we'll do a few local overnight/week end trips.  Would love to go to Black Hills. 2021?  Maybe.

My wife & I age is upper 60's, looking forward to '21 adventures!  What about you?

28 Replies

A hearty recommendation for the Black Hills =lots to see and enjoy there.  There is more than just the National Park areas like Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave.  There is also Custer State Park and The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs-just plain beautiful country.  No wonder the Sioux don't want to give it up...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Here's my funny Rushmore story.

I used to ride a motorcycle and I always said that I would do Sturgis before I was 50.

About 4 years ago, my wife was working on a certification for work so I took the kids in our brand new minivan to visit their grandparents in Denver, but going via Mt Rushmore because my son (9 at the time) had just learned about it in school and wanted to see it.

So as I am telling a friend at work, he asked "when's the rally in Sturgis?"

"Aw &*$^#," I said, "it's the week we'll be there."

So, yes, I ended up doing the Black Hills and Rushmore during Sturgis... in a minivan. I can't tell you how many times I apologized to my brothers and sisters on two wheels  LOLOLOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

yes, but you get a pass for last year, saw it on the news, wasn't it supposed to be a super spreader event?  I don't recall any follow up on it, on the news at least.

But next time, hopefully, you won't have to wear a mask.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes Sadly, I no longer have the bike so no need to revisit Sturgis on two wheels. But, instead of the bike, I have lots of outdoor gear!

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

Got a few that I am planning:

• Loyalsock Trail in PA
  • Manistee National Forest in MI
  • (Hopefully) the rim-to-rim of the Grand Canyon (time ad pandemic allowing)
  • *IF* we can get to Denver safely to visit my wife's dad and stepmom, I'll do a couple sections of the CT

great topic! Wish I had started it...anyway...

Since I've been 'retired' for a while, when I'm not doing laundry, vacuuming, etc, I'm full time planning backpacking trips (when not on a trip of course).

This is what I've got planned right now...

First week April.  7 day kayaking/canoe trip in the everglades, on the wilderness water trail in the NP.  I'm being dragged into this one.  It's a 2.5 day drive from VA to down there, and it's been many years since I've canoe camped.  There is one slight situation that makes this only about 50% chance of happening. I had finger surgery earlier this month and it is not healing well.  Time will tell.

First week in May, 5 days backpacking Gila Wilderness.  Flying into El Paso, driving 4hrs to trail head.  Looks very similar to canyon hiking in Grand Staircase Escalante.

First 2 weeks in July - 10 days backpacking, short days, 5-8 miles, 10days of food carry, from Elkhardt Trail head to Green River Lakes trail head.  Have tickets will travel. (who gets that reference?)

And then the big one. Have a permit for the JMT, Kearsarge Pass to Yosemite. Entire month of August. Slow, old persons hike.  This year a one way ticket to Reno, so there's no pressure to keep walking when we want to take a zero.

The rest of the spring, will get to Seneca Cr, WV for some waterfall photography again.  Then maybe Dolly Sods or Grayson Highlands, about the only places around here where you can get some good night sky photography.

Or I could just lay around and watch tv, after housework of course

this is from last summer in Wyoming, I may have posed it earlier, If I did, I have a 4 dozen others I've been working on during my finger surgery recovery, lol

DSC04844 combo lake-Edit-DeNoiseAI-clear greenriver reduce for upload.jpg

to be completely honest (and honesty is the best policy), you'll never get that view on the ground, this is after many hours of post production using, adobe photoshop elements, adobe lightroom, and topaz labs denoise AI.

Philreedshikes_0-1614540561241.png

@Philreedshikes - Your list of 2021 backpacking plans has me so excited and I'm only reading it! I'm also sorry to hear that your finger is having a hard time. I hope it is on the mend sooner than later.

It has been really amazing to see you share your Milky Way photos recently. I am a longtime photographer myself and night shots became my go-to for a while. I still dabble, though certainly less in the winter because nights are so cold! The technical aspect of all of it is a fun puzzle of sorts. 

Looking forward for hear updates or watch video recaps from all of these trips! The JMT one is of big interest. I've been trying to land a permit for my mom and I to do it on horseback at some point. No luck yet, but will keep trying!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

"Who gets that reference?"  Paladin/Richard Boone, Have Gun Will Travel.

"Slow, old person's hike." - Yep - that's us.

"Or, I could just lay around and watch TV . . ."  - I consider that my super power.