cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ways attach Trekking Poles to backpacks

Hi, I just purchased Trekking poles, however a RUPUMPACK (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761G9MJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) I purchased prior (I've been using it and really like it) does not have attachments for Trekking Poles. Is there a way to attach them or a product I can use to fix this issue?

0 Likes
2 Replies

I would securely sew or otherwise attach a metal ring about 3/4" diameter at th upper side of your pack.  This would be the anchor point for one of the straps mentioned in a previous post.  This will secure the upper end of your collapsible pole(s).  The lower end goes in the corresponding side pocket.  It is best to protect the pocket from the sharp metal end with a rubber fitting usually supplied with your poles.

This probably won't be the only pack you will purchase.  Newer packs, specialized for hiking, typically are provided with dandy attachment rigs.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Attach a carabiner to your shoulder strap just above the sternum strap.  Run the pole grips under your arm from the back through the shoulder strap and attach the poles straps to the carabiner.  To clarify, the grips will be in front and the tips behind you and lower.  They will ride pretty nicely out of the way.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.