cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

“Water Proof” gear vs. Frogg Toggs

It just so happens that most of my backpacking trips end up with me hiking for prolonged periods in the rain. So much so, in fact, I am considering opening up my own guide company called “Murphy’s Law Adventures”. 

Alas, the inclement weather will come no matter how you plan to avoid it. This is caused me to go down a rabbit hole of modern tech’s “breathable” yet “water proof” rain gear. I currently hike in the Outdoor Research Foray pant and the Outdoor Research Helium HD jacket. I thoroughly enjoy the Foray pants for multiple reasons, mainly the 3/4 zipper going up each leg. The Helium HD jacket is ok for lightweight purposes, but it always seems to wet out even with the pit zips open. 

WETTING OUT. This is a huge negative I have with modern rain gear. I despise the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars, and I can’t seem to stay DRY. I’m not talking about sweating through the rain gear. I’m talking about having it soak through from the outside. Yes I’ve taken care of it and  I’ve treated it properly with Nikwax. My hiking buddy uses Frogg Toggs, and he ALWAYS stays MORE DRY than I do. And he paid a fraction of the cost. I’m almost done with paying top dollar on rain gear and ready to transition to Frogg Toggs. They even have ultra light options for $50! 

Has anyone else used Frogg Toggs in prolonged rain? What is your opinion of them?

@Philreedshikes @SILHiker 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
10 Replies

@Philreedshikes  I typically carry a full set of clothes to keep dry. This includes socks, undergarments, a light weight base layer top and bottom, and some down layers. I do this, even if I don’t use them, because I don’t pack an inflatable pillow. So I carry them in my zpacks stuff sack/pillow (https://zpacks.com/products/medium-pillow....I hope REI comes out with a similar product) to minimize overall pack weight yet still have some “comfort items”in inclement weather. I can pack all of this while maintaining a 12 pound base weight.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes