cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Washington wilderness OR - better than expected

https://www.plansandclues.org/2021/08/29/pct-ramble-jefferson-washington-wilderness-areas/

Summary / Recommendation:

Washington Wilderness was WAY surprising and beautiful. I will go back. Jefferson Wilderness is an odd bird and the southern section (3-Finger Jack area) will most likely be avoided in future even though there are beautiful spots. Big Lake is not a hiker’s camping area, but can work out.

Guides were a complete failure. Both All Trails and GaiaGPS had 2 mistakes in this hike that were costly for me in terms of energy burnt and time / risk spent. Both will require greater diligence in planning phases. On the other hand, Guthook reviews of water and campsites were spot-on for this area.

Gear Update:

My Topo Terra* shoes wore out on Day 3; ~300 miles and they are complete toast. My Granite Gear Crown2 pack failed miserably as I could never get a ‘un-noticed fit’. I ran into a REI employee on PCT with same pack and she loved hers; we decided that packs and body shapes are not all the same. REI Flash Air tent worked out ok in the rain; the bathtub worked great, but the upper sections were easily moistened with condensation.

0 Replies