cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

want feedback on REI Flash Air 1P tent

I'm trying to enter UL backpacking and looking for a 1P tent. I own a Half Dome but the Flash Air seems to check off a lot of boxes while backpacking. However, I saw a review video showing a lot of condensation during a prolonged rain storm. The video was shot in the NE and I'll largely be in the Escalante, UT area; hopefully I will get out occasionally in western alpine climates too.

I'm hoping to hear from others and their real-world experiences in the drier climates of the West, and especially in canyon country. Was the limited ventilation in the Flash Air sufficient for a typical dry night? Does anyone have any alternative with weight and value in mind? I'm trying to keep the cost at or below $250. Thank you!

3 Replies

Hi @JeffF - Thanks for reaching out! We're going to tag some users who have asked or talked about this tent in the past to see if they can provide the feedback you are looking for! 

@Mats@Mulestomper@GunaG - do you all have any insight to pass Jeff's way? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@JeffF 

@Mulestomper answered via email, we are posting their response here:

I haven't actually used the shelter yet because of Covid pandemic concerns. However, I have set it up in my yard and was impressed by the overall design and quality of construction. I should mention that I don't have the Flash Air 1, I have the 2. Thanks!

0 Likes

@JeffF 

Thanks for reaching out!

I also own this tent, but, similarly to @Mulestomper, I have been confined to my back yard as well. I have only used it one night and, while there was some condensation, I did not feel it was a noteworthy amount. It was late fall in the Pacific Northwest so there was fairly low humidity at the time. I also wanted to call your attention this post, Meet the Moose who tests your gear!. The tent in that video is the REI Co-op Flash Air 2. Perhaps @turnerboy could provide some feedback about how well it holds up to weather in addition to moose attacks!

Lastly, you may want to take a look at the REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL 1 tent as well. We just got them back in stock recently. I have never camped in the Escalante, UT area so I'm not sure how easy it is to place stakes in the ground. The REI Co-op Flash Air 1 tent is not a freestanding tent so it requires staking out. The Quarter Dome SL 1 is a free standing tent so it would be a bit easier if it is hard to find ground suitable for tent stakes in your area.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

0 Likes