cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Waist pack or no?

Hi,

I want a pack for easy access as I realized that my purse items will not fit in the side bags on the Osprey Renn 65. I am looking at travel wallets but not excited by the looks and might end up with the same problem.  I really don't want to have to carry a purse as most of my purses are bright colors that stand out. I'm more worried about "feeling" like I have too much stuff... I will have the Daylite+ with the Renn 65 but I'm looking at the Daylite waist pack because I don't want to have to offload the bags just to get my money, ID, or anything else I might need. 

Should I get a waist pack for easy access or just figure something out?

At the moment, I only use my backpacks for weekend trips from Pittsburgh, PA to Columbus, OH. I, however, plan to make them as my travel bags period! Trips could range from solo weekenders to 2-week family trips. 

0 Likes
9 Replies

no

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Hi @KatyHall .

I tend to agree with @Philreedshikes regarding the waist pack.  For those few small necessities like IDs, passport, credit card, phone, etc.  I rely on pockets.  I know that many women's pants have less than ideal pocket options,  but I think it's safer and more secure when traveling.  Anything that won't fit your pockets can be put in the Daylite.  

On another note, if your traveling by air, train, or even bus, might I recommend the Osprey Airporter .  It will protect the straps and zippers on your backpack, and keep it cleaner.  It has a sling strap and a side handle for carrying and a top pocket for quick access items, and it folds down to about the size of a typical 1L Nalgene bottle.  They recommend a Medium for pack capacities of 45L-75L, but be cautious. I have a small, and I can fit my Atmos 65 inside relatively easily, with some room to spare, although I've never tried it with my pack "fully loaded".  My daughters 50L Gregory pack fit with lots of extra room.

Good luck!  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you, I'm going to get the Osprey Airporter when I need one or if I see one on sale. I'm kicking myself ad I was going to get a small one earlier today as I saw it for $31-something but the price went back up within the last 7 hours.

0 Likes

@KatyHall 

I hate when that happens!  There's currently one on the REI Good & Used site, in excellent condition, for $36.

https://www.rei.com/used/p/osprey-airporter-lz-pack-duffel-small/887945?color=Shadow%20Grey&aqi=9437...

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I just decided to get it new as with the shipping cost it wasn't saving me much. Yet, I'm taking the bus this weekend and decided that I would like to use it if they make me check the Renn. 

Cool peas!  Glad I could be of assistance.  Hope you have a good trip!

0 Likes

I use the brain from my Osprey Atmos as a fanny pack.  I just remove it from my pack and loop it through my belt.

0 Likes

The Renn's brain isn't removable. 

0 Likes

If you’re not fully on board with a waist pack, then I say no. Back when I was in college,  I went solo to Paris and my dad really pushed one on me. I never used it. I had a small sling bag with me, and kept $$ and passport in a zip pocket that was actually against my back. 

Nowadays, I use my Duluth Pack crossbody. It's a pretty unassuming purse really.  For trips that are a little more snatch-thief prone, I recommend a PacSafe crossbody. They're smallish, unassuming,  and have zippers. Many are slash resistant,  but testing typically suggests that feature doesn't work in most bags.

It's all personal preference,  there are a lot of decent options,  but don't pick anything you’re uncomfortable with.