cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Vegan Backpacking

What suggestions do you have for vegan backpacking?  I met the women behind Dirty Gourmet at Outessa last year and got some great backpacking recipes from their book and website.  I was tired of the same limited vegan options available for purchase, so I made my own dehydrated meals for my last trip.  They came out great! 

3 Replies

There are certainly many more pre-packaged vegan options these days than there used to be, but I often still prefer to prep my own. On just about every trip I like to make soba noodles with silken tofu (shelf-stable) and fresh or dehydrated veggies and peanuts. I will make or bring various sauce options like peanut sauce, soy sauce, etc. Sushi bowls with edamame, avocado, cucumber and seaweed snacks can be a fun meal if you are up to carrying some extra weight. I have been known to throw plaintain chips in with a beans and rice meal. Freeze dried veggies and beans are staples of my back country diet but I really enjoy trying to find new ways to keep the flavors exciting! I would love to hear more about what recipes you have been making! Happy Travels! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I'd be curious to learn more about those vegan recipes you mentioned, too!

Anyway, I haven't done much backpacking, but so far I have been sticking to pretty basic stuff. Protein bars (No Cow Bars) that won't melt in warm weather, trail mixes, dehydrated yams (with cinnamon, salt, and sugar sprinkled on them - yum!!) and fruit, and I love these sriracha bean snacks from Enlightened Foods: https://www.badabeansnacks.com/ Cuncky, salty, and full of protein!

0 Likes

Not completely vegan but check website: The Yummy Life. 6 instant meals on the go. Great DIY dehydrated meals.

0 Likes