cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ultralight rain jacket suggestions

I have read several articles and watched many videos. I also have used my share of equipment. But I have yet to find a great ultralight rain jacket. Any suggestions? Yes I have used frog toggs, Cabela’s UL, even North face impervious. Haven’t held up well.

18 Replies

I really like my Outdoor Research Helium II. But any ultralight jacket will fall apart sooner than a heavy duty one. Although I've had mine for 3 years and taken it on hundreds of miles of hiking and backpacking trips and it still looks like new.

Thank you, I have read many reviews but no one gave any real world experience. I do realize it will not be as robust as my heavy duty one. Thank you for the insight you may have just sealed the deal for me.

Hi @Mainehardcore 

Sounds like you don't need any more convincing, but I second @Former community member .  Both myself, and my daughter have OR Helium rain jackets, and are very pleased with their performance.  We've only had ours for about a year, so I can't really attest to their long-term durability, but all of my other OR prducts have held up well.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you for your input. Helps make the decision easy.

0 Likes

Marmot makes some good ones as well!  I love mine and it has held up very well over the years.

Do you own a specific model or type? 

Mine is a PreCip Eco.  Made from recycled nylon.  REI doesn't carry this size anymore, but you can still buy the regular PreCip and some of the Eco.  I can fit it into a cargo pocket pretty easily.

Another Pre-Cip fan here. I have both the jacket and the pants. Pre-Cip offers good rain and wind protection for the price, under $99, and often on sale for $69 or less.

aka "Boonerelli"

@Mainehardcore I'm enjoying my "Packa" from Cedar Tree.  It's a rain jacket & pack cover in one integrated garment.  No gap between your back & your pack.  Very lightweight, pit zips, compressible, and cottage company.