cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ultralight Backpack Recommendation?

I am selling back to REI my Granite Gear Crown 2 backpack after 250-300 miles.  I could never get to fit right.  I am currently looking at Gregory packs as my day pack (Gregory 30L) is fab, and I love their suspension system.

Any better recommendations to keep my cost <$250?  

A typical hike = ~20m/day on PCT doing 4-5, 5-day sections / year.

0 Likes
10 Replies

@mdf59 I recently discovered KS Ultralight gear from a few youtube videos I've been watching.  They provide a 50L pack weighing in at less than a pound, and also providing some structured "poles" to the frame similar to what the Zpacks arcblast provides.  It is ~$185....super cheap compared to the Zpacks arc blast at $350.  Might want to check them out....

https://www.ks-ultralightgear.com/p/je-vous-propose-un-modele-de-sac-dos.html

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Here is the gear review video I found the KS 50 on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mt03M3dzYU

All my gear - https://mattshafter.comThis backpacking camping gear is great for ALL hiking trips, is only 7lbs/3.2kg, but still fully comfortable, with a 2-p...
0 Likes

that video was helpful ... I work at keeping <27lbs total as well - 5 days

0 Likes

@mdf59 I thought I had a pick for my pack after my initial research.  Then I went into a REI and got fitted, and my "researched" pack didn't fit me at all!  I eventually picked the Osprey Atmos AG.  Not the lightest weight pack, but it rides super well & very comfortable for me.  I love the ventilated suspension system too.  And you can find them for the price point you're looking for.  Good luck!

0 Likes

@JeffPPeters thanks million - c-19 has made 'trying on in store' complicated 😞 ... I am going to order a couple different packs, load 'em up, and walk around the house (send back the rejects).  I appreciate your experience w/ research not matching the 'facts' on the back - I tried so hard to like my granite gear after the research, but the miles on my back said differently.

I also appreciate your feedback on Osprey ... I have similar attraction to Gregory packs as I love their suspension system (but heavy).

Really appreciate your help!

0 Likes

@mdf59 A few notes to add on to some of things comments.....Although I do use an ultralight pack, and I stay below ~23 lbs, there have been times where the pack doesn't ride well on me.  Meaning that it doesn't distribute the load very well.  On several occasions, I have put on my buddie's Osprey with more weight in it, and it's actually a more comfortable carry due to the heavy duty shoulder straps, load lifters, and thick hip belt.  When my ultralight pack wears out, I am going to be hard pressed to purchase it again vs. an Osprey type pack that distributes the load better.

0 Likes

I went to local REI and tried on a couple packs - Osprey has some interesting tech and it fits - but really heavy; Arc'teyx does not fit me (ultralight).  I'm leaning back to either a lighter Osprey or Gregory (42-50 L) ... I also tried to use my 30 L Gregory but WOW! ... I'd have to forgo tent, jet boiler, and ... 40L is smallest for multi-day for me - too old to leave comforts behind 😞

0 Likes

Recommend you review CTUG at https://chickentrampergear.com/collections/ultralight-backpacks/products/ctug-45-liter-ultralight-ba...

They make the backpack to your specifications.  Small US based Cottage Industry site and you have to be willing to wait for it ....but worth it 🙂 

0 Likes

I've been very happy with my Gossamer Gear Kumo

My total skin-out weight for 3 season weekend trips is under 25lbs, so this works well for me. Gossamer Gear offers several other packs with more capacity but still ultralight.