cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Ultra-Lightweight vs. Comfort

So, I have responded to quite a few posts on here around the topic of "how much should my pack weigh" or "how much should my big 3 weigh (tent, sleeping bag, pack)"?

I have invested quite a bit of money to having lightweight to ultra-lightweight gear for my big 3, and I am not sure if the backpack, specifically, is worth it.  I have a Tarptent Moment DW 1-person tent, an Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt, and the Z-Packs Arc Blast pack.  INDIVIDUALLY, all 3 of these pieces of equipment are awesome.  HOWEVER, when I put my full base weigh (including food and water on a 5-7 day hike) into the Z-Packs Arc Blast, it doesn't seem to distribute the weight well enough.  I think I'd rather have a lightweight sleep system with a "standard" pack in order to have comfort around my hips while on the trail.

In summary, spend extra money on a lightweight sleep system, but don't spend the extra money on a lightweight "flimsy" pack.  Has anyone else observed the same thing?  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
4 Replies

Since presumably the point of ultra light backpacking is comfort, any item that hinders that goal doesn't make sense.  I have an ultra light pack (GoLite) which i don't use very much because I also have several which are more comfortable and balance better.

I think nearly all of us value lighter weight. I haven't met many ultraheavy backpackers lately.  The trick is getting a reasonable balance between light weight, comfort, versatility, and safety.  I am quite content with a heavier pack  which carries better.

@hikermor 
100% agree with having a heavier pack that carries better. The trick after that is minimizing the weight of the contents inside the pack. Ounces turn into to pounds, and pounds turn into sore knees!

0 Likes

So I am a self-avowed "spec jockey". The guy who, as part of his decision-making process, pours of the specs of everything (it ain't much, but it's honest work) and I almost decided to get a frameless UL pack to save some weight.

For some reason, I made a choice that I am really happy with and bought the Baltaro 65 from Gregory instead. Far from a UL pack (it weighs just over 5 pounds empty), it fits me so well and distributes a heavier load so well across my frame that I don't really feel the excess weight.

So I guess I would call myself a "traditional" hiker and not a UL one. But that said, I do think the entire backpack community owes a debt of gratitude to the UL movement. Because of its rise in popularity, even mainstream gear manufacturers are getting into the game and standard equipment is reaping the benefits.

I couldn't agree with you more about getting the lighter bag and a better pack. Although, with the right framed pack that distributes weight properly, most people will likely not need to spend as much on a UL quilt/bag as they would if they had a frameless UL pack.

Off the trail, I believe we should buy the best shoes and mattresses we can afford since 90% or more of our daily life will be spent in one of them. On the trail, buy the best shoes, pack, and sleep system you can afford for the same reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Agree with the other comments.  The pack you mentioned has a very light load capacity. You may want to look into a ULA bag.  They carry heavier weights comfortably than UL's and are just about bullet proof.  I am planning a SOBO AT thru-hike in 2022 and am planning to use the ULA Circuit X.  Good luck...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ula+circuit+x

0 Likes