cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Trail Names - Arbitrary or an Art Form

One of things we like to do on multi-day trips is to 'award' trail names to those who don't have one.

I believe it's something that requires a wee bit of thought.

I want the person to be proud of the TN, not disgusted, lol!

Many time, we'll create a little ceremony, around dinner time to 'award' the name, along with a little 'token' to remember the trip by.

I thought it was a bit of joke really, until one lady put it on her license plate! OMG, that's when the impact became real!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
3 Replies

@Philreedshikes - c’mon... you drop a post like this without revealing your TN? 

🤣🤣🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

yep..lol

first it was 'chupa' as in chupa-cabra, (no idea where that came from for a TN) that mythical Mexican creature.

then I was awarded 'dragon' as in drag'in, because I'm slow

currently, forced upon me against my will, 'chief'

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

If I haven't done a designated Long Trail am I allowed a trail name? I have been out for 22 days in a row. Does that count?

Regardless, years ago my partner decided that if I were to have a Trail Name, it would have to be "Ridgewalker" . Too many adventures together revealed my nature to her, and I accepted by naming her "Rosie" as she loves the High and Wild timberline lakes and our companions there, the Rosie finches.

I have re-Trail named myself:

Mountain Tortoise, "cross between a Mountain Goat and a Tortoise".