cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Thoughts on first aid product for outdoor wound closure?

Hi all! I came across this wound/skin closure product that’s supposed to be good for small cuts or lacerations. Essentially, as long as it’s not a tissue depth wound, just something through the upper dermis, and you’re able to properly clean it, this microMend device can apparently close it up without a problem. Looks pretty easy to use, but I’m trying to consider the situations in which I’d actually have use for it. I was wondering what you all thought about the merits of packing something like this in a first aid kit for shorter day or camping trips vs. longer expeditions. Regardless, seemed harmless to sign up since I'm curious to see what they'll do with their product in the future. 

Here's the URL http://micromendoutdoor.com/

0 Likes
6 Replies

Probably unnecessary.  In first aid, your objective is to stop the bleeding.  

For this, you will use a pressure dressing, or (rarely) a tourniquet.  Leave final assessment , debridement, and cleaning to the ER.

For significnt bleeding, a 3"elastic wrap works quite well and has many other first aid applications, although a trifle bulky.

I don't see what this dressing will do that a typical band aid won't accomplish....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I kind of agree with @hikermor , I couldn't tell from the website what they're for.  If it's something that could be used on the trail where you might need stitches, then I might throw a couple in my first aid kit, otherwise, stop the bleeding, protect the wound, treat for shock, clear the air passages (do this first)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Looks like a fancy butterfly bandage.  Good for closing wounds, I'd guess, but probably more expensive and no more effective than a regular butterfly. 

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

I am leery of folks attempting to close wounds on their own...wounds that probably need stitches. How do you really know you've cleaned it properly? I know some folks who are more than ready to dump some superglue on any large cut...and such practices may do more harm than good.

First aid/first responder training is always a good idea for those of us who spend time in the backcountry. Without basic training, we run the risk of making a bad situation worse...infections and the like. 

I agree with folks taking a basic first aid/responder course.  In my never-to-be humble opinion, everyone (not just backcountry adventurers, but yes, especially us) should know what to do in an emergency.  You really never know when you might be faced with a situation where you are the only one who knows what to do!  I'm fond of the Red Cross courses.  Every couple of years I recertify in first aid and CPR.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

@Hikes_in_Rain, yes indeed! and adding if I may, IMO, each person needs to carry their own first aid kit (what that entails is probably a great topic!), reason being, If I used my first aid stuff on you - then it's not available for me, even if it's only a handful of bandaids and some tape thrown into a pack for blisters, on a short day hike.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes