cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Thinking about trying solo winter camping tomorrow

Really thinking about trying winter camping and hiking from Springer to Hightower tomorrow. Looks like weather is going to be 20s to 40s (according to atweather.org), so chilly but not too bad. I'll be using a tarp + hammock setup with an underquilt and 20 degree sleeping bag. I've tested the setup in the back yard the last few nights and it's comfortable. I used it at Black Gap a few weeks ago but didn't check temps (Amicalola said it was high 30s there). Thinking I'll hike from Springer to Hightower and then head back and camp at Hawk Mountain or Stover Gap (I usually average 2ish MPH and would get on trail about 10:00am). Anyone else gonna be on trail? Any pointers, suggestions, etc.?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
4 Replies

Well, atweather.org has kids ndof put the kabosh on the trip. 

0 Likes

What?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Not entirely sure of my winter gear and was going to do a quick overnight hike from Springer to Hightower to test it out.  Looked like it would be cold but dry Monday and Tuesday.  Now looks like cold and wet, so gonna hold off on the gear testing. 

0 Likes

@nathanu  winter camping is so much fun!! Just a couple tips:

• Warm (NOT HOT - unless you want to burn a hole in your stuff) water in a Nalgene inside your sleeping bag does wonders on the toes.
  • Put on the clothes you want to sleep in well before you are getting ready for bed (while you are still active around camp). This will help warm them up before you get in bed.
  • Place the clothes you plan to use the next day inside the sleeping bag with you. Nothing's worse than waking up and putting on 20 degree clothing!
  • Place any electronics batteries that you don't want to die in your sleeping bag with you.
  • Bring extra hand warmers and an emergency blanket (the tiny, first aid kit sized ones) with you just in case.
  • Don't assume you're going to be able to find dry firewood and a place to light a fire. I always bring a backpacking stove, and warm up hot water and/or rocks (if I find any) to keep me warm before I go to bed.
  • BEANIES AND BUFFS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS.
  • Oh and... don't burn yourself on your morning tea/coffee. NOT FUN.

Have fun and be safe! 😄

www.brynsharpphotography.com