cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Telling Time - Are watches essential when backpacking?

OK, so I always wanted to ask : Are watches “essential equipment “ when backpacking? ( use the force Luke ).

The way I see it, if you use your watch you are not paying attention. 

0 Likes
12 Replies

@Redland77 - Essential? Probably not. I do use wear one, mostly so at a glance I can tell how much time before dark, or whether I want to hit that stretch of "no camping" trail or wait til morning. I could judge this by looking at the sun (if I can see it), or look at my phone, so no, it's not essential. However, I use it a lot when I wake up in the night and want to know if my bladder will make it until daylight or if it's worthwhile to try to go back to sleep. I turn my phone off at night to conserve battery.  It does have it's uses, but I've considered leaving it at home to save the ounce or so that it weighs.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I can’t stop laughing.... you are so right... bladders can’t tell time! You got me on that one. We all have to deal with that. 
I’m just saying, my dog knows when it’s dinner time, and she’s never owned a watch.

0 Likes

I 100% agree with @SILHiker .  Probably not "essential", but I always wear mine.  I use it to check time (kindof a gimme), check my pace and decide if, at my current (and, at that point, often degrading) pace, I can make that one last push or if I should start looking for campsites.

0 Likes

Definitely not essential.  Check time by the location of the sun, almost always possible.

0 Likes

Your backpacking experiences have been more clement than many of mine. But I agree that a watch is not essential.

0 Likes

Sounds like you are capable of doing all that without knowing the exact time. It’s like a muscle in entropy.

0 Likes

I also use mine to know when I should be reaching a waypoint. There seems to be an epidemic of missing/relocated blazes in certain sections of the main trail I hike. I'd like to find the people that think that it's funny to move blazes, particularly at intersections.

0 Likes

Depends if you want to know the time or not.  If you do they they work pretty well for that.

Most people carry a cell phone which will have a clock so the question is moot really.  You should carry a cell phone for safety reasons.

Depends on the context of essential.  Essential for survival, no. Essential to have a good time, probably not. 

I have the Garmin 6S Fenix ProSolar, I wear it everyday. I love it. I take it everywhere. Can I go without it, yes. Do I want to leave it at home, heck no. But I use it to track way points, keep me on track for the day depending on how much I have to hike, I’m also a female and it tracks all those pesky female things. It is a great fitness monitor, it has all sorts of fun gadgets to use, and it’s water proof.