cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sweaty clothes and drying them

I'm curious as at the end of the day on a thru hike and your using a tent and damp outside how do you dry these sweaty clothes so that can be worn again the next day?

0 Likes
8 Replies

If it humid enough, they won't dry and you just have to wear sweaty clothes.  Sometimes they may dry better if you wear them.  Be careful about drying them in front of a fire.  There are many potential problems

But the real question is "Why did they get sweaty in the first place.  While hiking, you should adjust your layer and/or pace so that you don't overheat.  Not always possible, but your actions can usually make a big difference

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I thank you for this advice. I agree and already do the adjusting it's just sometimes I just start sweating. I'm going to assume a sleeping bag liner is a suggestion if I might have to sleep in sweaty cloths ?

0 Likes

A sleeping bag liner or a lightweight bivvy sack is a great idea.  They also add a bit of warmth.  I always get in my bag with my innermost layer, at  minimum, even if not sweating, simply to keep the bag as clean as possible.

0 Likes

Sorry to jump in on this little bit older thread.  For the sleeping, you could also look at having clothes just for sleeping that you do not wear any other time.  Granted that is a bit extra gear.  This is something that Philmont Scout Ranch notes in their gear list.  I also don't mind unzipping my sleeping bag if I feel I am getting too warm.  And this doesn't mean that you cannot look at a sleeping bag liner.  As, a liner is certainly an option (note some liners can add to the temperature rating).

And I agree with @hikermor on layering clothing.  Some of the clothing will dry fairly well while you are wearing them Ilike the base layers).

Enjoy

String a line up though your tent, and hang stuff on it. It's usually warmer in the tent.  They don't always dry, but they get less wet.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

I like this idea and I will check inside the tent to see if there are attachment points for a line.

Or you can string up a line between a couple of trees if space is an issue.

0 Likes

Never worried about this. Usually just leave them outside unless it is wet, in which case I toss them in the tent. I'm filthy anyway when I backpack, so sweaty pants don't bother me. Might only be an issue in really cold weather. 

0 Likes