cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Suggestions of suspenders for wearing under a backpack.

I am looking for a style of suspenders that I can wear under my backpack. Regular suspenders have snaps, etc. that rub when they have a backpack pressing on them. Do you have any recommendations?

0 Likes
2 Replies

I'm not an employee, but I used to wear suspenders all the time. Mine were made by an Amish leather craftsman from a design we collaborated on. This might be an opportunity for you to design and make something that suits your particular desires. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Pastor_Ed 

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, the two styles of suspenders we carry, the Chums Heavy-Duty Suspenders and Arcade Belts Jessup Suspenders have pretty robust clamps that attach to the waist of your pants, which will likely be uncomfortable with a backpack waist belt pressing down on them. As @TomIrvine suggested, your best bet may be something customized to your situation, whether that is sewing in some low-profile buttons that can attach a pair of suspenders, or attaching small loops into the waist of your pants to accommodate a pair of suspenders like the First Lite Suspenders or the SITKA suspenders, which have a low profile clip that slides into loops. Based on some of the reviews of those suspenders, it sounds like some folks can comfortably wear a backpack over suspenders.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes