cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Reporting to Keep all Safe

I've noted some YouTube hikers that have run into a person they thought was potentially dangerous.  Some call the police/park rangers and others hike on.  We need to take care of each other and report it not only to authorities but to the ATC so they can share down the line:  https://appalachiantrail.org/explore/plan-and-prepare/report-an-incident/

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
11 Replies

@Gary2 

I agree with the overall intent of this post.  The more information you provide, the better.  However, please define "potentially dangerous."  Generally LE responds to actions, not just someone who looks or acts differently.  Also, the response, if justified, should be at least as rapid on the weekends as any other time.  In every park in which I have worked,  weekends were fully staffed by first responders and public contact personnel.  Weekends are typically peak visitation, so delays might be due to other incidents - when it rains, it pours.

This is the perspective of a 40 year career NPS retiree, with subsequent NPS volunteer experience.

0 Likes

One youtuber reported a person with a small dog threatening everything and everyone.  Informed law enforcement with no response noted ATC was going to engage NPS on it.  Another was in tent when a group came in and a guy would not leave her alone.  That one, there was a response. In each, we need to share the information with those on the trailer so they are aware.

0 Likes

Not sure what you are describing here.  I am guessing that in the small dog incident they talked to an agency that did not have jurisdiction and it was referred to the NPS who did?

In the second case, there was a response, so what is the problem?  I might say that I enjoy solitude and seek places that are not crowded, better yet is empty.  That brings on a second set of problems and I typically deal with them, either by myself or as a member of my small group.

0 Likes

one of the problems is a lack of cell service in the woods and inability to call for help.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Yea, one reason I like the inreach product....

Cell service may indeed be spotty; just imagine how communication was before there was any cell service at all....

Is there any kind of established FRS/GMRS or HAM or even CB radio protocol on the AT? It seems like hikers carrying relatively inexpensive handheld radios on the same channel could communicate? Especially if an organization sets up repeaters along the route?

0 Likes

That is a perfectly awful concept.  I will say no more.

0 Likes

@hikermor I asked my question out of curiosity more than anything, wondering if anyone knows what exists on and around the AT or if it ever existed in some form. If there is something specific you can share from your 40 year NPS career that is pertinent, I'd love to hear it.

0 Likes