cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

REI In/And the Wild

Last week I did an overnight in Manistee National Forest and, once again, my Half Dome 2 SL+ was awesome!

I learned two things:

• What noise the rain fly makes when a bobcat is scratching at it at 1:30 AM
  • What a bobcat does when you yell at it at 1:30 AM!

The language filters on this forum prevent me from repeating all the words I used (the "Anglo-Saxon word" was represented prominently and repeatedly) but suffice to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how articulate I can be when roused/scared from my sleep at 1:30 in the morning by a creature making a weird noise and pawing at my tent. I may have hurt its feelings.

It wasn't until I got back to the cabin and looked up the various wildlife in Manistee and then went to YouTube to check out the noise I had heard that I determined beyond any shadow of a doubt that it was a bobcat. Turns out that they have a very healthy population in Manistee.

After getting over the shock of learning what it was that woke me up, my feelings turned to annoyance. We have two cats at home and I had hoped that, for just one bloody night, I would not get woken up by a cat looking for food.

But the tent held up great - just glad it didn't actually use its claws!

REI Tent.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
1 Reply

We have two cats at home and I had hoped that, for just one bloody night, I would not get woken up by a cat looking for food.

You have me laughing again @Dad_Aint_Hip!

I'm also glad to hear it didn't use it's claws. Thanks for sharing with us!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes