cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

REI Half Dome 2 Plus Tent pole cord problems.

Hi. I used my REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent this week. Have never had problems with it before, but this time all of the cords in the tent piles seem to have gone bad (no longer elastic). I have no idea why since it is stored indoors. How do I go about repairing this? Are there replacement poles? Do I replacement the cords? Not sure I know how to go about replacing them. Not in my skill-set. I love my tent and want to get it ready for my next adventure. 

0 Likes
3 Replies

The elastic bungee cord can easily be replaced, but first you will need to buy some new cord. REI sells it bulk by the inch or foot.  REI has a video on line to help guide you through the replacement process. It is not very expensive and a lot less expensive than new poles. How old is the tent? I would expect to replace the cords after three to five years depending on use and storage.

aka "Boonerelli"

The elastic cords are not essential to erecting the tent, although they do save time and effort.  Simply be sure that you can group the different segments correctly, perhaps binding them together with a twist tie or rubber band and then get rid of the elastic. 

Replace the elastic at your leisure.  It ain't that hard.  The elastic is stretched to its max while the poles are stored; that is why they have to be replaced periodically.

@SGuthrie Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your Half Dome 2 plus tent. We've had a couple of other users come to the community to discuss this problem, we encourage you to check out this post, Replacement Shock Cord for Half Dome 2, for more information on how to best fix your tent and get it back into service.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.