cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Plus size gear for long backpacking trip

Hello,

This is my first time doing a trip and I wanted to know for the pct for all seasons what's the best plus size gear you ladies have used? Right now I'm suffering from plantar fasciitis which i hope I can heal before hand. But clothes, trekking poles, anything you can think of that works for you plus size ladies would help me so much!!!

3 Replies

Wow @Lexi805 what an exciting adventure! As a plus size gal myself, I hope I can help point you in the right direction initially. I’ve never done anything as ambitious as the PCT but I can let you know what a few essentials are that could be helpful. 

I’ll start with rainwear. I love the Talusphere Rain Pants by REI Co-op brands. I have linked the women’s here but I actually initially bought the men’s version as it fit me a bit better. The best thing about them is they provide a little stretch which is great for mobility and comfort. 

If you’re looking for a fleece layer, my favorite option is the REI Hyperaxis Pant and there is a matching jacket that I am obsessed with. 

Lastly, you can’t go wrong with some leggings even on trail! I haven’t tried them out yet, but I’m excited about the Flash Hybrid Tights by Co-op Brands.

I hope this gets you started and some other folks can chime in! Have an incredible trip and thank you for reaching out to the Community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-AlyS - Wow thank you so much! I will look into these!! 

I am a plus size gal myself. Way to go tackling the PCT! Impressive!! I really love my merino wool shirts from Wool X. I have both long sleeve and short sleeve versions and pretty much live in them! Pants, I have some leggings with nice big pockets from PopFit, and have also purchased plus size pants from Duluth Trading called Breezeshooter that work well for warm weather. I have a puffy jacket from REI Co-op along with a sun hat from REI that I love (actually I have two, one that has a floppy back so it doesn't hit on my pack is the best for backpacking). Gregory just came out with plus size packs and I got the Kalmia 60 PLUS and I love it! The straps all fit very well on the pack and I can actually reach the hip belt pockets which is new and exciting.  My sleeping pad is a Klymit Insulated Static Luxe XL which keeps me warm (I am a cold sleeper) and also is wide enough that when I roll around I dont fall off of it. Hope this helps! Happy trails! 

0 Likes