cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Past REI gear no longer available

Have hit the trails for years and when my old REI water-bag finally bit the dust a few years back I was very disappointed that it was no longer available. It was super lightweight and worked great. Now all the bags are super expensive. I am also disappointed that  the the classic REI double wall clear plastic mug with oz. markings is also now unavailable. What is going on? this is a great product. And last but not least no longer carrying the bright orange cat-hole plastic shovel. The bright color made it easy to find.

I understand that trends and preferences can change over time but sometimes it feels like it is driven by going to products with higher profit margins.

Anyway just curious if anyone else shares my thoughts on this.

Cheers 

11 Replies

Yep, that sounds about right, also with clothes.

nothing to do but upgrade

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

I remember the REI waterbag, too.  Had one for years and years.  Long enough that the nylon cover faded from dark blue to light purple!  Finally, the cover aged to the point of disintegration.  Still haven't found anything to replace it.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I have that same waterbag and a spare bladder, don’t use much these days but will probably never get rid if it.

0 Likes

Unfortunately that’s a common theme with all commodities. The effective, classic version is phased out for a cheaper/profit driven/planned obsolescence version. Sometimes there never is a replacement that was “as good”. But at your age you know this. 

There's huge demand for the 2018-generation Kingdom Tent's "Tech Garage", yet REI refuses to keep them in production.  Change just for the sake of change is not a reason alone to update/discontinue anything.  

I am extremely fond of the REEI branded titanium eating utensils, especially their spoons - light, strong, and they last forever.  I use them regularly, even at home.  now no longer available....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@hikermorI've probably mentioned this before, but love my REI classic sierra convertible hiking pants. 

One of my favorite things about them was/is the boot zips and INCREDIBLY fast drying.

Alas, no longer available.  Whatever they have now is not the same design.  I've been patching and sewing and patching and sewing.

sigh...

0 Likes

I don't have a lot of REI gear.  This is not unique to REI.  A lot of the gear manufacturers do it.  Sometimes they even reduce or eliminate some gear areas.  I have the REI Flexlite camp chair.  Hopefully that does not go away.  I have a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag (center zip.  I like it over my side zips because I sleep on my back and both of my sides (mostly my left side) so having the zipper and its baffle in the center of the chest area is nice so that it never ends up under my shoulder/side.  Well they do not make that center zip any longer.  They only had that feature for a few years.  And, I have not seen any others with center zips that are also not discontinuing center zips.  There are also simply design changes that happen.

Enjoy

JohnL

0 Likes

@JohnL02 Big Agnes just released their "sidewinder" sleeping bag for side sleepers

0 Likes