cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Overnight trails near airports

Looking for suggestions on trails long enough to do an overnight or 2 trip that is easy to get to from an airport serviced by Southwest Airlines.  Thanks in advance 

0 Likes
3 Replies

If you rent a car at the Salt Lake City airport you could easily get to the Great Western Trail, Mount Olympus Wilderness Area, Twin Peaks Wilderness Area, Lone Peak Wilderness Area,  Deseret Peak Wilderness Area or Cedar Mountain Wilderness Area.   

Of those, the Cedar Mountain Wilderness Area will be the least crowded, but it's rugged desert hiking with no water and no actual trails.  Typically, hikers park on Hasting's Pass (where the Donner Party made fatal errors) and hike along the ridge.  If you want marked and maintained trails, the other places are better options, though in the near future they will probably be snowed in. 

If you are using public transit all the way, you could get to the Mt Olympus Wilderness Area by taking  Trax light rail from the airport, connecting to a UTA bus and walking fairly steeply uphill through a ritzy neighborhood.   Google Maps can show you how.   

0 Likes

@dgeorge94 - I read that SWA flies to 69 cities….you might want to narrow that down. Are you perhaps a SWA team member?

If it were me, I’d check my caltopo website for hikes or perhaps the alltrails app for cities I was flying into.

or the REI app but I forgot the name

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Not a SWA Team member but have a lot of Frequent Flier Miles saved up.  Location is not a big issue but was hoping for a trailhead close to Public Transport or a short cab/uber.  Don't want to rent a car and leave it parked for a few days and pay for that.

Thanks

0 Likes