cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Osprey VS HMG for 4-season backpack

Hey Folks,

I'm looking in getting a new backpack for 4 season backpacking. I'm torn between Osprey or HMG... I have a daypack Scarab 30L from Osprey and my girlfriend has a AG50, so I know the quality of the gear Osprey puts out. The HMG NorthRim 4400 has been catching my eye, but I've read heavier gear isn't friendly with HMG backpacks. Just wondering if anybody on here could advise?

FYI, I'm doing 1-7 day trips at most with enough space to pack for all 4 seasons on the Mid-East Coast. 

5 Replies

There are three area's that would be important in 4 season decision considerations:

1.  4 season can be rough on gear.  HMG only has a 1 year warranty:

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/pages/warranty

Osprey has the Almighty warranty that is very hard to beat:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-support/all-mighty-guarantee

2.  Weight of pack/size/options

3.  Longevity of materials

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks Gary for the tips. I did end up heading down to Tyson's REI and picking up a Aether 85 Plus and I feel like I made the right pick. I have the opportunity to purchase UL gear to help offset the added poundage, which after my quilt arrives, I'll be good to go. Again, thanks for the reply and attention! 

That's the wonderful thing about this chat area in REI, we can all help each other 🙂  Stay safe

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I have an Osprey Atmos, and I'm thinking about a lighter pack.  While I'm happy with my Atmos, I'd like to hear from folks that has had a "traditional" pack like mine versus an ultralight pack and their experiences with both.  Thanks.

0 Likes

I did order a SouthWest HMG 4400 also (I might have a great problem). Due to manufacturing delays, I'm still waiting on that to arrive. I'll try and give some feedback on how they each handle on the trail.