cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Osprey 60 or 48?

I wonder if I should swap out my new Osprey Levity 48 for the 60 L.  Right now, I am not planning on any thru hikes but who knows?  Also, I may be using in bear country where a bear container is required.  So is it worth the extra 4.5 ozs and the money?  If I want to do a 10 day hike, perhaps the extra load would be required.  What do you folks think?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Buy the 60 when you need it.  Both are very useful sizes.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too.  Thanks

0 Likes

I'm a bigger guy and, to an extent, will usually sacrifice some weight (carry more) in exchange for a good camp experience.  If it's one or the other, I'd go with the extra 4.5oz.  You can do with the 60 what you can do with the 48 but not the other way around.  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Good advice, thanks!  And I, too, am a big lug.

my osprey exos 58 works well for a 10 day trip, with an ursack, but is very heavy, can approach 37 to 40lbs, depending upon camera/photography goals.

It can take the bv500, sideways on top, but it's tough to fit 10 days.  The good news is it gets lighter everyday (captain obvious here).  But the bv is required in most of the sierra np's.

I think it's a wonderful pack.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I lean more toward the ultralight side of things so my instinct is 48. But, like @hikermor already said it is great to have the extra space if you need it. I bought my Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 for that reason exactly. It is ultralight but also has a high load range in case I want to carry more than normal. I rarely carry enough to fill my pack but if you can compress everything well it shouldn't be an issue. DISCLAIMER: sometimes load range is overlooked when people are buying packs and just looking at capacity. A pack may have a 60 liter capacity but only be able to safely/comfortably carry 10-25 lb (like the Levity). Food for thought. Think about how much your gear weighs/will weigh as well as how much space it will consume. Good luck!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees."- Thoreau

I use an Osprey Aether 57L and love it. I don't think I would want much smaller on a multi-day hike. Anything bigger is just too much temptation to overpack. 

0 Likes