cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

OK, I got bored, so I organized a bit. What's your gear storage system?

I've been off work due to my wife having Covid (which also wrecked a 16 day hiking trip I had planned), so I finally got bored enough to organize my gear a bit. I built this cabinet/drawers/closet specifically with a place for hiking gear/food/supplies in mind. The first pic is basically gear storage. The second pic is my food storage drawer. I mostly make my own meals and keep them stored for grab n go, you might also notice a couple of MH meals too. Sometimes I'll buy a meal or two to kick me up to free shipping, or if my drawer is empty and I need to hike. I also keep some meal ingredients here. The third pic is basically "spare stuff", backup supplies, extra gear, etc. I also have one drawer dedicated to hiking clothes. The fourth pic is how I store my sleeping bags and tent. For the bags I hook the hang loops over a cami hanger that I bought on Amazon, and the other end I use those clamp hangers (skirt hangers?). For the tent/fly/ground sheet, I just use another of the cami hangers and hook the grommets on the pegs. And the last pic is my go-to trail mix. While I sometimes make my own, I find these convenient because they're about a day's worth each (2.75-3.5oz). I get them at Sam's Club, but I think you can get them other places too.

What kind of storage system do you have?

Gear storageGear storageMeals and ingredientsMeals and ingredientsSpare supplies and foodSpare supplies and foodsleeping bags and tentsleeping bags and tentIMG_1590-5.jpg

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
13 Replies

A bit?  You need to be bored more often @SILHiker !  

That's fantastic! Very impressive.  My storage system is not nearly so organized.  Right now, most of my gear is stacked neatly in a portion of the spare bedroom.  I'm thinking of making that a full walk-in gear closet instead of a bedroom with gear stacked in it.  I do keep my hiking clothes in their own dresser drawers, and I keep my day-hiking pack loaded with the standard items, ready to grab & go, with just adding weather specific items and snacks for the day.  

I do see quite a few familiar items in your closet.  Looks very much like I envision mine to look like if I ever get as "bored" as you.  And, is the Cheez Whiz I see?  😃 

It's actually Cheez Wiz jars being used to store jalapeno powder and banana pepper powder... my garden did a great job of producing those, so I dried a bunch then ground them into powder, thinking at some point that I'd make up my own special seasoning mix. LOL

@SILHiker  I grow a variety of chili peppers in my garden and I've made some awesome powders - I did a homemade cayenne and ghost pepper powder a couple years ago. As my wife put it, it was perfect for those days when you feel the need not to just spice up your chili but actually weaponize it. LOLOL

How did that Jalapeño powder turn out? Now you have me thinking about doing my own chipotle peppers and grinding them... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

This is so great @SILHiker. Also... how impressive are those powders made and stored for future seasoning! You and @Dad_Aint_Hip might have to share your food drying tips with this community at some point!

I love a good organizing session. And gear... Like so many here, I also just really love tinkering with and looking at my gear! The one aspect of it that needs a lot of work — bike storage. In the winter it's easy because they all get thrown in the basement, but during the warmer months it's a constant shuffle. There's always progress to be made!

IMG_3500.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-CarterC  We just moved and in our new house I actually have a bar area and have been trying to figure out what to do for its decor. Looking at your storage area, I think I can accomplish two things at once - store all my gear and decorate the bar area.

Drinks at 5:00 !!!

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Hey, ya sure ya don't wanna stop by for a drink, then go hiking for a couple days, then stop back by for another drink or 3?IMG_1596-2.jpg

@REI-CarterC , is that your storage area, or an REI annex location?  😂

I am now feeling terribly inadequate.  Seems like I've got some work to do.

Both of you @SILHiker and @REI-CarterC are way more organized than me.  I have mine in tubs right now.  However, the gear and clothes are scattered.  So, I would have to do a bit of work to prepare for a hike.  This certainly makes me think about options.

Enjoy

Aaaaaaaaaand along comes @SILHiker to make us all feel woefully inadequate when it comes to organizing gear 🤣

My gear is in various plastic tubs and totes, separated into categories and labeled, then stacked on shelves. Efficient? Yes but terribly boring aesthetically. 

I am really impressed by your pantry organization. I've not done that yet but Winter is a time for developing and tweaking recipes. My biggest food goal during the next couple months is really to create some spice/seasoning blends. Then I can just grab and go.

@REI-CarterC , @SILHiker and I have have been threatening, oops I mean "discussing" getting together to do some backpacking at Shawnee National Forest in the Spring (because my wussy self ain't going out in the Winter). We'll shoot some video of our gourmet cooking and share it with the community here.