cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New Jetboil Stash Stove coming soon. Thoughts?

Hey there REI community!

I caught an Instagram live of the new JetBoil Stash stove and wanted to tap into your collective wisdom to see what you thought. I know we have a big contingent of BTS-3000T fans here and I'm consistently blown away that stove weighs less than an ounce! It looks like this new Jetboil Stash stove system is over seven times heavier...which is still pretty light considering that weight includes the pot and lid! It looks like the stove itself is 2.1 oz. The Gear Junkie did a write-up about it which was pretty interesting. Is there anyone out there considering this stove?

@Dad_Aint_Hip @SILHiker @Philreedshikes @Daxigait @OldGuyot @John @hikermor @Olaf @DwightET @Dh1983  you've all weighed in on some stove posts here in the community. Any initial impressions?

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
8 Replies

I've watched a few YT video reviews of it now and it does look interesting. I'm also thinking about moving away from my BRS-3000.

What I like about the JetBoil stove kits is that they seem to be a lot more efficient with how they disperse the heat. Some of the reviews I've watched shows the new Stash boiling 2 cups of water in under 3 minutes. I like that a lot. But do I really want to buy a "system" that includes another pot just a month or two after I bought my new GSI Halulite? Okay... do I really want to have to explain to my spouse why, after just buying a new pot, I bought a new kit that negates the need for the new pot? LOL

If, however, I was buying my first stove kit or was looking to replace/upgrade my entire cook kit, I'd be all over the Stash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

@Dad_Aint_Hip  I hear you there! I may have just used my last few ounces of gear purchasing mojo on a MSR PocketRocket Deluxe kit so I think I'll have to suffer through carrying all those EXTRA OUNCES for a a while. 

@REI-JohnJ  Just watch out that you don't strain your back on those ounces! 😀

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip  I like to tell people that I can save more weight by not eating carbs then they can by buying lighter gear!

0 Likes

Ah...Stoves, how they have evolved and changed over the years. My first purchase from REI was a Primus 71L for 8.95, along with a cook set for about the same price.  Twenty years ago, I bought a Gen one Pocket Rocket which still works fine.  I am glad this thing does not have a piezo lighter .  "Piezo" is Italian for "doomed to fail at the worst possible time".  my favorite canister stove igniter is a LMF knife with integral ferro rod - works very dependably.  the aluminum pot is an advantage over titanium, especially if you are doing more than just boiling water.

If I were shopping for my first stove, I would give this serious consideration, but for present, I will stick with my old reliables......just a geezer's opinion

The price is pretty spectacular, compared to the old days, and there is not even any brass to polish!!

I've watched a couple of reviews.  Here are some observations...

The 100g canister clip in the lid is a gimmick but it does keep the rust from the canister rim from staining the pot at least until the plastic wears out.  I'm not sure if a 230g canister fits in the pot.  Sometimes that is all that is available.  Storing the canister in the pot is not my preferred option but it is a nice option to have. 

Stove seem like a robust design at the expense of compactness.  The burner shape appears similar to to the Soto windmaster/amicus design which the MSR Deluxe copies.  It's a shame they didn't copy Soto all the way on the burner and add a rim for wind protection which seems like it might be lacking.  although I haven't seen a good test of this.

One of the big advantages of the original Jetboil integrated design was that the stove locked to the pot which makes it possible to hang the stove...great for climbing etc. This new unit doesn't do that and is clearly limited to/intended as a "hiker" stove which I suppose is fair enough.

The folding pot handle looks well designed in that it can't collapse with a full pot and it won't rattle.

200g is a good weight for an 800ml setup but you can do better. A Toaks 750ml pot and lid is ~100g and the BRS3000T is 25g or if you want a "better" stove the Soto Amicus with igniter is ~80g.  Personally for a larger pot I prefer 1L since that is big enough to boil water for two or cook a noodle meal for one.

The fuel efficiency of JetBoil's systems is generally hard to beat and that can be an advantage on longer trips.  I'm not sure how this one compares but that may make it very weight competitive with these slightly lighter weight options.  The fuel efficiency thing is always a bit of a tossup for canister stoves because of fixed size of the canisters.

For the price, not providing a plastic cup to cover the fins just so they could claim the "lightest" is "cheap". You can leave it home if you don't need it...

Same goes for the neoprene cozy which they could have made removable.  Perhaps it didn't work with this design but I doubt it.

Not including an igniter is perhaps understandable since those are a mixed bag.  It is a part that needs replacing every so often. JetBoil's igniters has never been that great and personally I have had trouble with them not igniting at altitude. However I feel it's not really a justifiable omission at this price point. JetBoil's are not minimalist systems and the primary reason to pay the money is to get convenience. Rather than omit it, a design that made the igniter easy to remove and replace would have been a better innovation.

At least they do include the canister stand which is good to have when using 100g canisters.

Thanks for the heads up about the Jetboil Stash, but I have never been a Jetboil aficionado. I tend to shy away from specialized gear that will not necessarily work with other systems or serve many functions. I am more low tech and quite happy with my Pocket Rocket II. The titanium cup I use to store the stove and fuel cannister in, as well as cook in, can also serve as a regular cup to drink out of and can also be placed on a fire or over coals if need be. 

aka "Boonerelli"

@John 

I'm inclined to agree with you here. I have the MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe and appreciate the simplicity of its design and function. That's one of the reasons the new Jetboil Stash stood out: without a regulator, a piezo igniter, or the need to attached to the pot, it is pretty different from anything offered by Jetboil up to this point. I am very curious if folks are going to be excited for the weight savings in the Stash vs having a regulator and piezo igniter in the Jetboil MightyMo and MSR Pocketrocket. Time will tell!