cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Nemo Tempo 35 or 20

So, I'm a new to backpacking and am looking at my first "real" sleeping bag.  My ultimate goal is to through hike the AT, but that won't be for about 9 years (saving, getting affairs in order, etc.) but I'm doing smaller day hikes and short trips between now and then to get ready.  Right now, I'm doing about 10 to 15 miles per week +/- consistently and am looking for some 1 to 2 night trips.  I'm in Georgia and these will be trails I can easily drive to.  

So, with all of that put of the way, I've been looking at sleeping bags and like the Nemo Tempo.  They are iny price range and I like the spoon shape.  My question though is should I go with the Tempo 20 or Tempo 35?  I'm a cool sleeper and most of my trips shouldn't dip much below 30.  I'm really leaning toward the 20, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thank you all for an awesome community!

13 Replies

@TimJ hopefully you'll see our other response! Do you have your Nemo sleeping bag stuffed into a compression sack before putting it in your pack? This should help quite a bit and ensure the sleeping bag doesn't overwhelm the majority of your pack! Let us know if that doesn't solve the problem and we can suggest alternative sleeping bags/packs for the type of backpacking you plan to do!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@TimJ I have a Gregory Paragon 58 pack and iltge Nemo fits great.  I do have to stuff it a bit but usually put a compactor bag iny pack from the top and shovey sleeping bag into that (from the top).  I don't really use the bottom access. I have the compression sack for the sleeping bag but haven't used it yet. 

0 Likes

So you opted for the 20, good choice...now stuff it in the bottom of your pack into a waterproof garbage bag of some sort

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Yup, got a pack of compactor bags from Costco just for that.