cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Meet the Moose that tests your gear!

Click HERE to see just how well your REI tent hold up under wild animal attack!

https://vimeo.com/468123594

REI tent surviving a Moose encounter.
9 Replies

@turnerboy WOW! Just wow. Thanks for sharing the video - and SO glad everyone was safe, including the tent...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks!

I had always been worried of meeting up with a bear. I never guessed a Moose would scare me that much.

Where did this happen?

0 Likes

This happened at Brave Park. Right next to that huge rock at a well used camp area. 

0 Likes

I’m sorry. I meant Beaver Park 

0 Likes

@turnerboy  great stuff!

I posted a story/photo a few weeks ago of 2 moose checking out my tent in the Teton Wilderness.

I hope you had enough presence of mind to secure you food bag if it wasn't secure already!

We were just finishing breakfast when we had our visit.  I had read about bears visiting during meals, when food bags are not hung, and stealing food...so when the others ran for their cameras, I ran for my food bag, tied it to a tree (ursack) and then my camera, lol!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Yes, we did have our food bags hung. However, they didn’t seemed at all interested in the food. They never came near it. It was that tent that peaked their curiosity. 

must say, that was my 23rd trip out there and never saw a bear. These moose scared me to death. Hahaha. 

The moral...always have pepper spray ready. 

0 Likes

@turnerboy 

Thank you for posting this! I just moved from Alaska after living there for six years and I know how serious a moose encounter can be! I'm really glad everyone was safe. Was there a dog inside the tent? It sure sounded like it but I wanted to check.

Also, we forwarded your post to the team who designs and builds our gear because we think they would appreciate seeing their work standing up in the field.

Thanks for sharing here in the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hey John. 

That sound you hear in the background was their calf bugling. And yes, we were surprised just how well that tent stood up to the pawing, chewing and racking that that moose gave it. 

0 Likes