cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: LOWA Camino GTX instep question

Recently hiked round trip on the Alum Cave trail to Myrtle Point in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. The boots felt great and handled the 2,900 feet of elevation very easily. After that backstory though the boots got muddy and I was cleaning them off and noticed something I haven’t seen on past boots. The sole of the boot where it meets the upper on the instep seems to have a gap when pressing on the upper. It’s only on the instep while the outside edge of the boot is well attached. Both boots are doing this which makes me think this is part of the design but unsure and wanted to ask. Does anyone else with these boots notice this?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

Hey @SubaruSteve!

Very interesting question! Help me understand a bit more what's going on here.

lowa.jpgWhen you press on the upper, are you feeling perhaps more give in the area indicated by the pen as compared to the outside of the boot? Or in the spot where the upper meets the rubber of the outsole, are you actually seeing the upper detach from the insole forming an actual hole?

If it's the latter, that's definitely not a feature of the boot--that would indicate some sort of failure of the glue that helps the outsole and leather upper stick together. But I do notice when I press on the upper just above the rubber that there's definitely more give on the outside than the inside. That's just a normal part of the boot's construction--there's a nice, insulated sockliner within the boot that helps provide slight arch support and anchor the foot within the boot, so the construction in the instep doesn't need to be as rigid.

Hopefully this helps answer your question, but if I haven't called out what you're experiencing, please let me know!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-PearlD 
Thank you for the reply and immense detail! The spot you are pointing at is the exact area. Below are pictures of the left and right boot. It starts at the last 1/8” of the rubber toe cap and ends just before that swoosh shape on the side of the sole where your pen cap is. From further inspection it looks like the rubber sole is chamfered where it meets the upper and is connected/glued further down in the gap. This is similar on both left and right boot. 

0 Likes

@SubaruSteve 

How interesting! Well, if your fit experience isn't impacted, I'd say the boot is good to go, but if you're unsatisfied with the fit because of this design, you could certainly make a return following our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. 

I'm sure you could find even more information about the boot design from the Lowa customer service team, who can be reached at 877-307-7277.

Thanks for highlighting this design intricacy! Happy hiking!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thank you for their number! I will give them a call and see what they have to say and report back here. I’m hoping I will not have to return them since I love these things so much. 

0 Likes

@REI-PearlD 

926E99BF-ADA5-4FB9-8FFF-668647A96442.jpeg

4BD4E5CA-4468-4F3B-98EB-479D9F173495.jpeg

9FB0F4F1-D4FC-4E09-B631-2761A25CFB19.jpeg

DE685FAF-D237-4F78-97C5-3EF7009038C7.jpeg

0 Likes

Well unfortunately after today’s 2 mile hike the gap has gotten larger and deeper. I will take them to my local REI and get another pair. Hopefully these were a Friday boot and someone wanted some beverages right after these boots were finished hahaha. Looking forward to try another pair out!

0 Likes