cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking to chat with people who've done snow-shoe treks in the Sierras

I'm looking to do a first two-day snow-shoe hike..  Just a short push in and quick out in the lower Sierras, to test the waters and get a feel for it.  Thought it'd be nice to chat with folks who have some experience.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hey there @GucciMechie! What an exciting new endeavor!!! I started doing overnight snowshoe trips a few years ago back and in Michigan, and I have to say the Sierra is much better starting place. It was negative temps my first trip and I've never been out below 20 degrees here in the Sierra. I do a few trips every winter, but haven't been out yet since the snow hit a couple weeks ago. I love chatting winter overnights, so let me know how I can help!

REI Folsom overnight snowshoe trip!REI Folsom overnight snowshoe trip!

Here is a crew from my store in Folsom, CA on our annual winter trip this past February. We had 4 folks who were out for their first overnight! Happy trails!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Yup this looks like fun.  Our plan is to re-visit a known trail, walk in as far as we feel comfortable with, camp overnight to practice logistics, and get out the next day.

Then figure out a multi-day.  Still haven't bought snow shoes, so that's the next decision point. 

Since equipment weight keeps climbing, we're considering the idea of sledding the backpacks...  Any experience with that?

0 Likes

It definitely is: cold and fun! That's a great starter plan. We only hiked in maybe two miles with this group because we had so many first-time folks.

When you start to look at snowshoes, my major features I look for when the primary goal is backcountry snow camping are: availability of field repair kits, heel lift for heavy loads on hills, and ability to add tails.

We took a sled with this group, but only to carry in firewood for our fire. I tend to find that the larger the group, the less likely you will be to need a sled, since you can space out the shared gear more.

Our snowbench and firepit!Our snowbench and firepit!

I've done it before for extra gear, but I personally find it more comfortable to carry a pack and then use the sled for heavy or bulky items. I like to put at least some of the weight in my pack, because I find sleds to be a bit more awkward than a pack and they give you less freedom in choosing your route, since you have to pick the most level route. I do have friends who prefer the sled route, so  it might be nice to have both options on your first trip, so you can try either.

What Sled did you use?

The ones I see look overbuilt - sturdy enough to carry a large person at speed.. So are heavy to carry if you get to areas where a sled doesn't make sense.

0 Likes

We used a very cheap plastic hunting sled that was not really the best thing for the task. It was one of the light weight styles, but the strap system on it wasn't great at holding the load or at attaching to us. I am actually planning a snow camping trip for this weekend now and we are thinking we are going to try and do this: https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/diy-make-your-own-pulk-sled!

I'll post photos if it ends up working out!

0 Likes

k thanks, curious to see.

0 Likes