cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for suggestions for a backpack for 14yr old Boy (5'3).

Hi there, 

I am looking for a starter backpack for my son for 2-3 day trips max.  Would like to stay in the $100 range- any suggestions?

Thanks

3 Replies

@Redkale13 

Thanks for reaching out!

We have a couple of options that should work for your son. Depending on how much gear he will be carrying on his own and how much of the gear will be shared among the group, you will likely want a backpack around 40 - 55 liters in volume. If you know your son's torso length, that's great and can help you make a decision on which will be the best fit for him. If you don't know his torso length, you can take a look at this Expert Advice article, How to Size and Fit a Backpack

Here are some options we found in your price range:

We're going to move this post over to the backpacking board to see if some of our community members have some suggestions as well.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks so much @REI-JohnJ!  I will definitely check these out.   

@Redkale13 

Where are you located?  I have one from when my son backpacked several years ago just taking up space and you are free to take it.REI pack.jpg